• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland sp540v odd/issue

STAR Graphix

A few times in the past when Id start a print, the machine would make a different sound ( hard to explain) so I's stop the print, cut off machine, restart and everything would be good may have to do it twice but no rhyme or reason or consistent reason. sometimes it would be the first print sometimes half way through the day and overall not that common. Now it wont go away, I was suggested to change the scan motor and did so...still there...the tech I talked with over the phone isnt real sure. in my opinion, it makes think of some type of relay/electrical issue Im just not familiar enough to make a guess any help would be appreciated.

heres whats noticeable:
The head seems to move slower
it makes very faint buzz/humming noise
the fans/vacuum seems to be louder during print
banding

in the past like i said, I could cut the printer off,then back on and it would go back to printing normal...any suggestions? thanks!

STAR Graphix

Any advice or suggestions on parts youve replaced would be greatly appreciated. not wanting to buy a new machine, this one operates, just dont want to throw thousands in the wrong direction...thanks!

Jack Knight1979

sounds like scan motor, encoder registration problem. The buzzing noise is most likely low power always on the motor while the heads are parked because of an encoder registration error.

STAR Graphix

Thanks for the suggestion! I did replace the scan motor friday and no change. I will run the other suggestion by the tech and see how to check that. Do you know if there could be any type of short in the head? or is that one of those either it works or it doesnt? thanks again!

STAR Graphix

Just an update....Ive been printing small prints on high quality the past few days and still had the issues but the prints were acceptable. Trying to decide options and parts. I updated Versaworks last night, and for some reason this morning everything seems okay...for now, fingers crossed. Could versaworks have been making the printer run funny? Its hard to see a connection since the problem occured a few times in the past...anyone experience versaworks problems before, causing the printer to run funny?....

rjssigns

DO NOT get VW updates thinking they will help your SP540V. Roland no longer does updates for that printer. We know. We have one and our tech said all we were doing is wasting time and taking up disc space. It may in fact cause issues. We had a problem after an update so we went back to the last version. Guess what? No more problem.

jeff412

What problems did you have with the latest version? I just purchased a used SP540V but it didn't come with Versaworks. I had to order the latest version from Roland.

Jeff