• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland SP540v ripping but not printing

hunterp

I just had to replace my Roland's controlling laptop. They are directly connected by a network cable.
Old laptop was windows7. New one is Windows8. I installed and then updated Versaworks to 5.x on the new laptop (going to 3.x and then 5.x).

Currently VersaWorks and the new laptop sees and registers the current state of the printer. Knows ink levels and generally acts as it should.
BUT when I go to print something it rips, pauses on "print" and then gives the job the check mark while the printer has done nothing.

I'm sure someone else out there has gone thru the same problem. Thank you for input and advice.

Ragnabrok

overly agressive anti-virus program on the new laptop that wasn't on the old one? maybe a firewall blocking it?

splizaat

Ours would do this when cutting once in a while with crop marks. I think we'd just restart the machine, turn printer off and leave unplugged for a few minutes from the wall, then turn everything back on and try again. Look into anti-virus above as described as well...we run our rip printer without anti-virus now to eliminate any other issues.

hunterp

I just turned off Windows firewall. Did not help. I was also running Spybot for antivirus purposes. Uninstalled it. That also did not help.

Also tried the unplug it from the wall thing. Perhaps I am missing a step with the InterCon-Netool App? It sees the printer as well but seems to hang on a couple of requests with it. It gives me an error with trying to access "Printer Panel" and it will not print anything when I try to "Print Status Page".

Thanks for the ideas. Keep em coming.

player

If you have Avast Antivirus free it will scan your network for threats and vulnerabilities. When finished it reports all devices on your network plus their IP addresses. Handy.

Vinyldog

I've tried a plethora of things to get my SP540 to print Black again. I un-plugged and re-plugged the ribbon cables on the carriage

and the nozzle check pattern improved by about twenty five percent. I just did the same to the ribbon cables on the mother board and improved it by about another fifty percent.

Sounds crazy I know, but if you’ve tried everything else, you may want to try it.

hunterp

IP address/gateway not assigned on the new laptop?

The IP address is correct. Although Net Tool sees a different last 3 digits than VersaWorks lists, but from what I understand the last 3 digits don't matter.
If the IP address wasn't correct, the printer should not be reporting anything to VersaWorks right?

Ink levels and current status should not show up right? But all that is there.

greysquirrel

Check and update the printer firmware and make sure versaworks is up to date. Set a static IP address on both the printer and computer...make sure wireless adapter settings are disabled on laptop...

jsalda

The IP address is correct. Although Net Tool sees a different last 3 digits than VersaWorks lists, but from what I understand the last 3 digits don't matter.

The last 3 digits of an IP address DEFINITELY matter. That's like saying that your house address doesn't matter as long as the city, state and ZIP code are on your mail.

if Net Tool and VW have different addresses, then there is definitely an issue. Make sure that the first 3 sets (octets) of the IP for the RIP computer are the same as what's showing up in Net Tool. Last octet should be unique for each.

Also, make sure that there isn't another device on your network that has the same IP as what your printer is supposed to have.

hunterp

Check and update the printer firmware and make sure versaworks is up to date. Set a static IP address on both the printer and computer...make sure wireless adapter settings are disabled on laptop...

Updating the firmware on the printer itself seems like a logical stem, although it's one that I am super hesitant to try, lest it really messes with an older "legacy" printer.
Is there anyone out there that can confirm that updating the firmware on an SP540V from 6.x to whatever is most recent is not all that scary?

Thanks for the input!

hunterp

The last 3 digits of an IP address DEFINITELY matter. That's like saying that your house address doesn't matter as long as the city, state and ZIP code are on your mail.

if Net Tool and VW have different addresses, then there is definitely an issue. Make sure that the first 3 sets (octets) of the IP for the RIP computer are the same as what's showing up in Net Tool. Last octet should be unique for each.

Also, make sure that there isn't another device on your network that has the same IP as what your printer is supposed to have.

I think you are confirming what I am describing in my situation as what is supposed to be the case. All digits but last 3 are the same in Net tool and VW. Last octet is different... VS: "Printer Settings" different from Net Tool console.

To your last point about making sure there isn't another device on the network that has the same IP. There is no network. Printer is direct cabled to the laptop. There shouldn't be an issue there unless my cpu is registering an IP address from a previous attempt to recognize and see the printer.

Ragnabrok

The IP address in VW should be exactly the same as what is read in Net-tool. Any time i've done a crossover direct connect, i've set the PC a static IP address (eg 192.168.1.101) and the printer a few off from it (eg 192.168.1.125)

match the VW printer settings IP address to the one set in net-tool, and never had an issue.

jsalda

I think you are confirming what I am describing in my situation as what is supposed to be the case. All digits but last 3 are the same in Net tool and VW. Last octet is different... VS: "Printer Settings" different from Net Tool console.

To your last point about making sure there isn't another device on the network that has the same IP. There is no network. Printer is direct cabled to the laptop. There shouldn't be an issue there unless my cpu is registering an IP address from a previous attempt to recognize and see the printer.

Sorry, must have misread your original comments.

Ironically, I just experienced a similar issue just this morning. I was diagnosing an issue on my SP540v (http://www.signs101.com/forums/show...0v-Stops-printing-midway-quot-processing-quot) and after disconnecting the ethernet cable from the printer midway through a job, and canceling, I was unable to print. RIP computer saw the printer and status, but jobs would not print, just like yours. Shut off main power on the printer and turned back on, was able to print then.

I wonder if the ethernet card in the printer stores certain info, like status, ink levels, etc?

rjssigns

When I had my SP540V the I/O card in the computer got wonky. Did all kinds of weird things until it quit. I/O cards are cheap. Chuck a new one in and see what happens. Worse case you'll have a spare.