• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland stand alone cutters, review?

thesignguy1986

Hey guys I currently have a Roland VP-540i & love it but as posted before on here after cut calibration and everything its pretty awful for what I do. I tend to do bigger print and cut stickers (3' x 6') and large run of small stickers like (3" x 3") 500 at a time and it the 540i just isn't up to par as far as my Mimaki cg fx was. Are the stand alone cutters better as far as reading registration and cutting straight. My concern is I can't realistically cut a 4' x 8' with 4 lines of simple text on my machine now because it off tracks and that's after being calibrated. So I want to know if the stand alone rolands track better I guess is the question. I'd love a summa but I run flexi 8.1 and I use versaworks rip for everything and I know I can hook the plotter into versaworks so I can print and cut still out of 1 program. Just looking for your opinions and thanks for input

Gene@mpls

I have a GX500 and love it- tracks great... even with Vworks crazy non sequential cutting. I regularly cut 10-16 foot logos. (and I have 2 Summas) Gene

rjssigns

Hey guys I currently have a Roland VP-540i & love it but as posted before on here after cut calibration and everything its pretty awful for what I do. I tend to do bigger print and cut stickers (3' x 6') and large run of small stickers like (3" x 3") 500 at a time and it the 540i just isn't up to par as far as my Mimaki cg fx was. Are the stand alone cutters better as far as reading registration and cutting straight. My concern is I can't realistically cut a 4' x 8' with 4 lines of simple text on my machine now because it off tracks and that's after being calibrated. So I want to know if the stand alone rolands track better I guess is the question. I'd love a summa but I run flexi 8.1 and I use versaworks rip for everything and I know I can hook the plotter into versaworks so I can print and cut still out of 1 program. Just looking for your opinions and thanks for input

Maybe you need to replace the Cut Carriage cable. We just did one on our SP540V and it made a world of difference. Still chokes on the long runs because of VW idiotic bouncing from here to there. But at least I can run batches of decals now without it eating half of them. We did a run of over 400 in batches of 96. approx size was 3" x 8"

Cable was 45 bucks from Omniscience in Denver CO. Took us longer to disassemble/reassemble the machine than install the cable.

LittleSnakey

we learned the same thing with our roland doesn't cut the best.
We went the summa way though and does exactly what you want it to.
I am not sure about the roland cutters, when we looked the largest they had was 48".

Also you flexi will drive your printer, just select the sp540.
Only problem will be limited profiles. We use the arlon dpf2000 with flexi 8.1