• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland start-stop during print HELP!!!!

Sticky Signs

So my XC540 does this thing where it prints a bit, stops and than keeps printing, than stops, than prints more and so on. Kinda like a hick-up. I notice it usually happens on larger files. Sometimes the head will actually park itself and than go back to printing. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. It's usually not that big of a deal however on certain materials, there will be a noticibel color shift where the stop has occoured. In this case, I'm printing 6 4'x8' panels for the pickiest client you could imagine. I don't really wanna keep reprinting panels hoping that I get lucky and don't have any stopping during the print not to mention I'm super busy and don't have time to waste. Does anyone know what could be causing this or how to fix it? I thought it might be Norton running in the background of my RIP station but I've turned it off and it still happens. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

Sticky Signs

My rip station goes into a linksys router and than out of that to the printer. It is also provides WIFI. Do you think that's the problem?

Andrew O

Merchant Member
This kind of problem is usually related to either computer speed or a network issue. More processor power is always good, but I assume you are running a fairly fast system. Make sure your hard disk is defragged, and that you have the latest version of VersaWorks. It also sounds like you are running a newish network switch, but make sure you have all the latest drivers for your network as well. Finally, double check in Task Manager that there is nothing else running in the background. Sometimes there are processes running even though you shut down Norton, and they don't always show up easily.

Once all that is taken care of, if the problem persists try RIP'ing the files first, then printing. That is generally a less taxing on the processor.

You can also give Roland a call at (800) 542-2307 if the problem isn't solved. Just press 2 when the recording starts to get to Tech Support.

Bly

I had a dodgy network cable doing similar things a while back. Try a new cable.

before starting to switch out cables and deal with the phisical elements restart your router and do an ipconfig /release refresh from cmd prompt on your print rip machine it may help

mleg1972

Make sure that you don't have the Rip while printing option checked in Versaworks. Never, ever use this feature. Check out the attached screenshot.

Attachments

• screenshot.bmp
    987.3 KB · Views: 145

cdiesel

Is the computer a fast machine? Are you running anything else while printing? Are you ripping while printing? This sounds like either the machine is having trouble keeping up with ripping or sending the files, or the network is have trouble keeping up.

I don't know why mleg1972 would say not to use the rip while printing option. We use it all the time with no problems. We have machines that are pretty much dedicated to ripping, and they're not super fast machines.

BALLPARK

I would think it is your CPU not being able to handle some large files and you are ripping while printing.

or

Your network needs to be restarted and check the running processes for large files.

What type of CPU do you have...specs?

Sticky Signs

I have a dedicated rip station. It's got a lot under the hood and I don't use it for anything else so I have a hard time thinking it's the computer. I also rip everything before printing so it's not versaworks.
I decided to test the router. I was able to get a cable long enough to go direct from the computer to the printer. I started printing and it seemed to help but I'm not totally sure yet because I got called away to deal with something else and didn't really have a chance to monitor the printer. I'll start fresh in the morning and check in if there's problems.

Sticky Signs

before starting to switch out cables and deal with the phisical elements restart your router and do an ipconfig /release refresh from cmd prompt on your print rip machine it may help

Wow, I wish I new what that meant and how to do it. I have restarted the router many times. Hopefully a by-pass will help.

Sticky Signs

ok. So I've bypassed the router and Im plugged into the printer directly. I printed the first panel with no problems. I'm on to panel # 2. It's printing ok without any "long"pauses. It does do this weird thing where it gets to the end opposing the capping station. Instead of stopping and printing in the other direction, it stops, starts up again and goes about another inch and than it return for the next pass. I hope that makes sense. Each file is about 72800KB. So far the results are acceptable but I'm worried there is something else going on.

CS-SignSupply

How long is the network cable?

While directly connected to your printer, disable any wireless capabilities.

What version of Winders are you running.. I might have missed this.

Make sure you have the NWLink IPX/SPX protocol is installed for your network card, if you are using Windows XP

Sticky Signs

Ciber supply,
the new cable is abut 50'
no wireless capabilities
windows xp
NWLink IPX/SPX protocol - i don't know what that is. sorry, I'm a network retard!

cdiesel

You can ipconfig/release like this.. doubt it will help though. Do you have a full blown network with a server or just a couple computers and a router? Lot of network traffic through the router? Many lower end routers aren't made to handle a lot of throughput. It may be time to upgrade to a full on switch. We just replaced an aging switch with a unit from Fry's for about $350.

Click the Start Button
Click Run
Type cmd<enter> (this will open a DOS command prompt)
Type ipconfig /release<enter>
Type ipconfig /renew<enter>
Close the DOS box.