Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roland Stika 12" cutting too deep

Discussion in 'Roland' started by blackbok, Nov 1, 2005.

1. blackbok

blackbok Member

May 31, 2005
    My OLD Roland Stika-12" is killing me. I mean besides the fact it is so old, cuts slow, and randomly cuts lines, or just stops mid job. I can't complain too much, it has done a lot for me and I just can't afford or justify an at home upgrade.

Yesterday though, it did something randomly wierd. I started cutting out a design, 10 of them with weeding border. My blade is always set-up to cut Avery intermediate (A6). WHen it was done, the blade had cut through the paper in some spots, consistantly in every one. It was mostly on the circles. I don't get it. I cut other designs, and it was at the perect depth.

Any ideas?

I am using sign mate software.

Tags:
  2. VinylCraft

VinylCraft Active Member

Sep 16, 2005
    Was it printed on old vinyl witch held a heavy arc or was the vinyl relaxed?

3. Barry

Barry Active Member

May 6, 2004
    If the Stika has a cutting strip you may want to check to make sure its not scored.

4. iSign

iSign Verboten

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    when that happens out of the blue to me, it is always because a file (usually an import from another prog) has ended up with a duplicate copy placed right over each contour causing it to cut each character twice. many times I have sort of watched the plotter do this, & never noticed it going over things since i wasn't really watching as close as i thought.

5. John Yucca

John Yucca New Member

Nov 5, 2005
    Blackbok.....Stika SX-12 Frustrations

I feel for you.....I also have a Stika SX-12. I used it a couple years then put it in the box then got it back out. When I hooked it back up I had a heck of a time cutting the most basic stencil.

When I sat down and thought about it I wondered what was different. What was different was the fact I was now using Win XP. I did EVERYTHING with the parallel port, speed, etc.

When I tried to uninstall the Roland Drivers there were like 3 or 4 copies of the stikamon.dll and rdcommon. WTF????

Got them uninstalled, reinstalled the driver.....success.

Next time.....same thing.

Just for an experiment I built up a Windows ME machine. Loaded the driver...No issues......None. Works perfect.

Hooked it up in the other room on an XP machine 5 minutes after confirming everything was okay and I couldn't cut anything. Actually I suspect it's SP2 rather than just Win XP.

Roland is horrible about updating the old drivers. I'm positive the XP drivers are problematic.

John