• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland Take System Tricks??

DanL 57703

Have a Roland Take up system at the bottom of our printer, was wondering if any one has a trick to attach something to the print vinyl quicker, rather than waiting for it to print out and finally attach it to the take up reel?

JulieS

I've used narrow strips of sturdy paper or vinyl (also cheap floral ribbon, ha). Tape one end to center of your print, tape the other to your core tube on the takeup.

• Agree
Reactions: spb

DAVID MARSHALL

The first trick is to get the printer up off the floor. I cut up a plastic pallet so that the pieces fit neatly between the wheels on each leg. That lifts the printer up 100mm from the floor so I don't have to roll around on the floor anymore to attach the new core and set it up. Honestly Roland, do none of your product designers have legs? To attach the media to the take-up core, I first trim the end of the media into a V shape so the middle of the media is about 100mm longer than the sides. Position the media to where you want to start printing. Cut a 1" wide strip from an end roll of media. Using strong tape, attach one end on the strip to the centre of your V and cut the strip so that it reaches the middle height of the take up core. Use about 6" of the strong tape, attach one end of the tape to the free end of your strip, then while keeping the strip in line with the direction of feed, attach the strip to the take up core, wrapping the tape around the core for security. Once you set the printer going you only need to drop the dancing bar and away you go. Ergonomics is not a Roland strength.

Gene@mpls

I have never used any of the makeup units on the half-dozen Roland I have bought. I have always had a homebrew up about the height of the print output- a tube with a rottisserie on the end- lift the free end, slip a roll on and tape it on when a light beam is broken [long enough to reach the roll].
When done- slip the roll off the free end.

Kemik

I sell stickers and sticker accessories.
I saw this handy trick on Instagram, I haven't tried it yet, but I probably will!

1644246081777.png

SlikGRFX

Can the take-up system be used with cut data on the document?
Yes but you have to set the media length so it knows how much to rewind after printing. I think there’s a maximum length too. Not worth the hassle really.

Im not a fan of the Roland take up. The cheap Chinese clutch type take ups work much better, especially for print and cut. You can set the clutch pressure super light so the media unrolls without issues. They are available from eBay or digi print supplies.

Mactastic

Sign Maker
Yes but you have to set the media length so it knows how much to rewind after printing. I think there’s a maximum length too. Not worth the hassle really.

Im not a fan of the Roland take up. The cheap Chinese clutch type take ups work much better, especially for print and cut. You can set the clutch pressure super light so the media unrolls without issues. They are available from eBay or digi print supplies.
Do you know why there is a maximum length limit?