• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland tech broke my printer and hasn't fixed it

nawor

I'm after some other people's thoughts on how to proceed.

I recently had my printer serviced. Before the service the printer was working with some minor issues. During the service the tech cleaned the encoder strip which fixed the problems. However, after the service the printer could no longer pick up registration marks properly. It can read marks near the right hand side of the printer but fails to pick up marks further over towards the left side of the printer. I'd never had this issue prior to the service. I have no idea what is causing the issue.

I called the tech and they returned, spend two hours trying to fix the problem but didn't manage to fix it. They were supposed to contact me the next day but didn't.

Now I'm left with a broken printer and have received a bill for nearly $400 for 2 hours + replacement of cut origin sensor. The invoice states 'printer in good working order at end'.

I'm very frustrated to have been left with a broken printer which the tech broke and a bill for the attempt to fix it.

Does anyone have some advice on how to proceed with the tech?
or what the printer problem could be?

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Sorry to hear of your troubles, that doesn't sound right.

Did you sign off at the end agreeing that he left it in good working order?

Is he an independent tech or does he work for a dealer? If he works with a dealer, go to the top and tell them you want it fixed now. If not, go to Roland and do the same.

Hope you can get it sorted out!

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Call head office in Frenchs Forest. I think Duncan may be able to sort you out.
This isn't the first time one of their techs have broken a machine they've been unable to fix.
They ended up having to replace a local shop's BN20 after a near identical story occurred.

nawor

It was serviced by an independent tech (but who still works through Roland). I hope I didn't sign of on an agreement saying it was in good working order but at the end I was passed something that looked like a worksheet and asked to sign and I did.

I'll give Roland a call to discuss. There's only two techs in my area. One independent tech and one who works directly through Roland.

FrankW

In german language, there is a phrase „waking up sleeping dogs“, what means that repairing some things could lead to trouble with other things which are near to a damage.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
This is why my parts truck has +300k miles (idk, odometer broke on 214k) and hasn't had an oil change in 3 years...
I have a 92 Toyota with similar mileage. Every plastic connector on the engine is so brittle if I look at them they crumble into dust. It goes forward pretty good but requires a 10-12 degree incline to go backward.

player

This is why my parts truck has +300k miles (idk, odometer broke on 214k) and hasn't had an oil change in 3 years...
This is what your motor can look like inside when you don't change the oil.

qjamrfs9z7341.jpg

acef627a8e091afff4cad7ffd4cd63cb.jpg

jwlllpl

Could this possibly be a software or settings issue? Maybe check to see that the software and plotter eye is set to read 4 corners. Sometimes the settings get changed during repairs.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I have a 92 Toyota with similar mileage. Every plastic connector on the engine is so brittle if I look at them they crumble into dust. It goes forward pretty good but requires a 10-12 degree incline to go backward.
Reverse is overrated.

John.

Check the encoder is still inside the sensors channel, then check the voltage on the sensor.

I installed a new sensor recently but neglected to adjust the voltage so I was not picking up registration marks. ‍♂️

Lady Who

Could this possibly be a software or settings issue? Maybe check to see that the software and plotter eye is set to read 4 corners. Sometimes the settings get changed during repairs.

I once asked a tech if he could clean my encoder strip and he took a look at it and said to me it was not dirty, so I'd better leave it alone, because it's very sensible and even a small scratch when cleaning it, could cause the carriage to lose its way and stop functioning properly. So nawor, maybe that's the case, your encoder strip was scratched and that's the cause of your issue. Ask them to replace the encoder strip that they've scratched while cleaning

netsol

I once asked a tech if he could clean my encoder strip and he took a look at it and said to me it was not dirty, so I'd better leave it alone, because it's very sensible and even a small scratch when cleaning it, could cause the carriage to lose its way and stop functioning properly. So nawor, maybe that's the case, your encoder strip was scratched and that's the cause of your issue. Ask them to replace the encoder strip that they've scratched while cleaning

Ladywho,
you had a terrible time with your machine, a few months back.
did you get everything resolved? did you end up replacing the head in question?
with the coronavirus & arranging to move my business, i lost track of your thread
hope it all is resolved and you are good now

Tizz

I'd replace the encoder strip then go through the required set up and crop mark adjustments, which the tech should do otherwise don't pay the bill.

Lady Who

Ladywho,
you had a terrible time with your machine, a few months back.
did you get everything resolved? did you end up replacing the head in question?
with the coronavirus & arranging to move my business, i lost track of your thread
hope it all is resolved and you are good now

Hey netsol , thanks for asking, but no, I'm still strugling to keep printing with 1 magenta and 1 cyan line missing. Cap was replaced but the lines are still missing. I couldn't afford a new printhead back then, let alone now during this pandemic and considering that here in Brazil we have the worst president in the world, so it's difficult to project any future. You know, here in Brazil this printhead costs half the price of a brand new popular car and because of the devaluation of our currency, can't afford buying it from one of the merchants here either, at least for now. So, I'll wait some more time. If the print head fails entirely, I'll have to outsource the jobs until I think of something... don't know, maybe sell my products abroad in dollars