• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland Test Print

kroger

I have a Roland sp300i. By looking at the test print I’m sure I need a new black print head. I replaced it not long ago which is frustrating. Been through 4 or more! This has been going on for a while now.
But I notice the lines on the entire print colours are fuzzy and complete mess. I wondered if the cap tops need changing as the cleaner didn’t soak in immediately but I checked 15 min later and it has. What type of cleaning should I do? I did a manual clean. Re: black print head I try not to print 100% black. It probably went a few months after I got it changed. Frustrated with it!

Attachments

• B60B711D-DB48-4673-B406-9D5BFA1DB3A0.jpeg
    B60B711D-DB48-4673-B406-9D5BFA1DB3A0.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,842
  • 921816C7-FC2C-4A6F-82B7-25BC989EFF05.jpeg
    921816C7-FC2C-4A6F-82B7-25BC989EFF05.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 460

strypguy

I have the same problem with my SP300V. I've changed the black head about every 12-18 months for the last 3-4 years and it looks just like your test print. I take great care of my printer and so I'm puzzled why the head just gets that way. No head strikes either but it doesn't get used every day so I wonder if that has something to do with it. I know this doesn't help but your not alone. John

kroger

I don’t use mine everyday either. Could be the reason. I was told to print something every few days and print test prints. I did that but the black print head still messed up. I am not always great at manual cleaning as often as they told me too

woolly

that does look like a old head but you say not so
what make of inks are you using
are you sure the cap tops are sealing correctly and the pump working as it should, ink on the pump gears is a give away its failing
regular use helps a lot
i noticed this problem many years ago and took to shaking the carts every couple of weeks or so especially the black this seams to have helped.

kroger

I use only Roland eco solvent inks. How can I tell and what do you mean are the cap tops are sealing? Pump gears? Sorry unfamiliar with somethings although I have learned how to flush, etc to try and save a print head...with no luck!
Thanks!

kroger

I have noticed when manually cleaning around the black print head that there seems to be a lot of ink to wipe away and I can never completely clear it away. The other printhead wipes clean.
I noticed this with the last 2 printheads I’ve replaced.

E Coloney

Black ink (likely) has the greatest amount of pigment in it and thus the black print head gets 'tortured' more than the other heads. It doesn't appear that any of your nozzles are plugged (missing in the test print) but many are getting deflected spray and that's why your prints are fuzzy instead of crisp. It's the same as what happens at your bathroom shower head when you have a lot of minerals in your water. If I were changing heads as frequently as you are and getting these deflected nozzles, I think I'd try wiping the head with a soaked sponge stick (that you use for manual cleanings) and see if it knocks off any of the sediment and cleans up the head and it's spray pattern. This is essentially what the wipers do except without the cleaning fluid. I believe the heads are far more durable than we're led to believe. What do you have to lose at this point, a damaged head that you need to change? Also, try changing the wipers more frequently. They're so much cheaper and less aggravating than changing print heads.

If you do this (aggressive, manual cleaning), please post back here (in detail what you did) what your results are - we'd all like to know.

Scott at Roland

I have a Roland sp300i. By looking at the test print I’m sure I need a new black print head. I replaced it not long ago which is frustrating. Been through 4 or more! This has been going on for a while now.
But I notice the lines on the entire print colours are fuzzy and complete mess. I wondered if the cap tops need changing as the cleaner didn’t soak in immediately but I checked 15 min later and it has. What type of cleaning should I do? I did a manual clean. Re: black print head I try not to print 100% black. It probably went a few months after I got it changed. Frustrated with it![/QUOTE

Hi Kroger - I am the "Roland Guy" so I got to ask the question. Where are you getting your print heads? I do know that the DX4 head basically comes in a couple "flavors", and one was made for aqueous inks as opposed to solvent based inks. I honestly do not know how that affects print quality, but if you are getting after market heads - especially really cheap heads - you might be getting either aqueous or refurbished print heads and this could be part of the problem. Just a guess.

Couple other things - first, I would definitely change out the cap top - as well as the tube running from the cap to the pump. That might help. Also, change your wipers if they haven't been done in a while and if you are using after market ones there, I recommend trying Roland brand. Can't say for sure that there is a big difference but in this case the difference in cost is worth the expense if it helps. Finally, I would make sure your Firmware is up to date. A long time ago (and this may apply to the SP-300V guy below) we experience premature deflections in black ink specifically. Similar to what you are seeing. This was caused by the makeup of the black pigment, which is more problematic than the other colors. We found that a periodic wipe of the heads resolved that issue completely, and I have not seen it in 10 years or so. The firmware upgrade, if your firmware is really old, would institute the periodic "sleep cleaning' and might help. But on that note - if you are not using your machine regularly, please remember to keep the main power switched on and only power down the printer using the sub power on the front panel. This is probably obvious, but I figured I would throw it in just in case. Hope something here helps.

kroger

I will try that. I have done that before when suggested with no change but I will try it on this one. That’s the thing, what do I have to loose! I did an overnight head soak last night and no change. I will change out the wipers too. My printer is beeping for me to change the black and blue cartridge, is there a way to bypass it until I try to get the printer working better? Rather than waste more ink! It started to beep only when I went to try a medium clean but it wants new cartridges first!

kroger

I did another quick manual clean and I wiped the black print head. The test print is not as fuzzy which is good. But as you see in the pic the black seems to be the same. I didn’t realize the wipers are what cleans the heads, I should replace them more than I do!

Attachments

• 623BE920-16BF-4636-A817-19F56D9B8D2C.jpeg
    623BE920-16BF-4636-A817-19F56D9B8D2C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 497

flyplainsdrifta

I will try that. I have done that before when suggested with no change but I will try it on this one. That’s the thing, what do I have to loose! I did an overnight head soak last night and no change. I will change out the wipers too. My printer is beeping for me to change the black and blue cartridge, is there a way to bypass it until I try to get the printer working better? Rather than waste more ink! It started to beep only when I went to try a medium clean but it wants new cartridges first!

the only way you can do a cleaning is with the carts in. those MUST be in in order to do a clean unless you want to compound the problem by possibly sucking air into the lines.

Neil ADS

Do a search for replacing the encoder strip and the printer carriage cable on the machine if that one of those is failing it can cause prints to be very fuzzy and missalligned. I had to replace two on my old SP540V. Worth a look they are cheap enough and not to hard to change.