• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Roland Truevis VG-2 ink on edge holders

Yaser

Hi,

I recently started having an issue with my VG2-540 with ink on the right edge / media holder.

We've run about 2-3 full ink packs so far, printing roughly 25-40 feet of media a day. Haven't faced any problems with print quality, but the splotch has me concerned. The printhead sponge is fairly clean, have been running regular cleanings as guided in the user manual, and sufficient cleaning fluid is present.

Would love any guidance / help, picture is attached.

I've left several voicemails to Roland, but they have yet to get back to me.. It's been over a month.

Attachments

• IMG_20200823_062751.jpg
    IMG_20200823_062751.jpg
    982 KB · Views: 987

Jester

Slow is Fast
It looks like you are running the media holder too close to the vinyl. The edge of the vinyl is supposed to be visible in the two little holes in the media holder, NOT in the slot. Are you doing that intentionally or is your vinyl shifting during printing?
I'm not sure how crowding the media holder against the media would contribute to the ink blot, but try positioning the media holder correctly and see if the problem goes away. Let us know what you discover.

MP Custom

It looks like you are running the media holder too close to the vinyl. The edge of the vinyl is supposed to be visible in the two little holes in the media holder, NOT in the slot. Are you doing that intentionally or is your vinyl shifting during printing?
I'm not sure how crowding the media holder against the media would contribute to the ink blot, but try positioning the media holder correctly and see if the problem goes away. Let us know what you discover.
I agree. The Edge Guard in to far over on the media. if you take it off, There should be some material to the Right ( or left) of the clamp, Underneath, that keeps it at the same height as the media. If you put that on the media, It raises the clamp. Hopefully that is all that it is

Jester

Slow is Fast
I think we are saying the same thing! Just to be clear, the media clamps were one of the items changed/improved on the VG2 from the earlier VG models. They are not (easily) removable. The vinyl goes under the clamps in the manner shown in the VG2 manual, page 38 & 39:

6. Line up the edges of the media with the centers of the holes of the media clamps (left and right).
BLU_USE_2-4-6.svg

Again, I don't know if that is what's causing the ink blot, it's just something I saw in your photo which caught my attention.

Last edited:

Rob White

Prior to my VG2 upgrade I would get occasional ink at the edge of the media. I rarely use the media clamps as the wheels have been sufficient. Next time you manual clean check the edges of the head housing to see if you might be picking up ink from the head seats when the heads are resting. I found that to be part of my issue - and this was before VG2 ink conversion.

Yaser

Thanks for the help all, I fixed the positioning of the clamps, but the problem was still there. Roland advised me that it is a known issue with the VG2 and are currently working out a fix

Yaser

In case anyone else encounters this, the tech advised me to keep the headheight at medium as opposed to low.

Farmboy

My understanding this is a firmware issue from an update that was meant to decrease the cleaning cycles the printer was going through. My tech came in and fixed the issue, said he had others with the same problem.

Joe House

Updating to the latest firmware will allow you to perform the Damper Fill function (previously only available through service mode). Roland recommends performing 2 damper fills to help alleviate ink dripping from the print heads. If this printer is still under warranty, I would make sure that your dealer knows about your issue in case it escalates to the point of a service call.

Good Luck!

RoccatJump

Roland SG2 - 640
Hi,

I recently started having an issue with my VG2-540 with ink on the right edge / media holder.

We've run about 2-3 full ink packs so far, printing roughly 25-40 feet of media a day. Haven't faced any problems with print quality, but the splotch has me concerned. The printhead sponge is fairly clean, have been running regular cleanings as guided in the user manual, and sufficient cleaning fluid is present.

Would love any guidance / help, picture is attached.

I've left several voicemails to Roland, but they have yet to get back to me.. It's been over a month.
Any updates? About it, I have the same problem but than with black ink, I have a sg2 640. I don't even have the printer 1 year and it got repaired 2x and now it broke again. It's under the warranty but I'm sick of it.