Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ROLAND USERS PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Roland' started by CENTERVILLE SIGNS, Oct 2, 2020.

1. CENTERVILLE SIGNS

CENTERVILLE SIGNS Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Nutley, NJ
    On longer prints, why do I get these smudges? I'm wasting time and vinyl

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Is that while it's printing or afterwards ?? To me, it looks like the vinyl went down and landed on itself before it was dry.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. CENTERVILLE SIGNS

CENTERVILLE SIGNS Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Nutley, NJ

4. CENTERVILLE SIGNS

CENTERVILLE SIGNS Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Nutley, NJ
    while it's printing

5. Boudica

Boudica Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Spokane, WA
    Looks like it could be head strikes. is the vinyl bunching at all?

6. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Yeah, then either your tension is off creating a tent like effect or your heat might be too high, doing the same thing with tenting, but I've never seen that kinda head strikes on any of my Rolands...... aqueous or solvent.

7. Boudica

Boudica Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Spokane, WA
    I haven't had that happen on either of our Rolands, but recently I was getting almost exactly the same issue on our Epson... the banner material was bunching between the pinch rollers - head strikes, smeared print - it was a disaster. Problem fixed with better tension at the take-up.

8. ChicagoGraphics

ChicagoGraphics Major Contributor

Feb 27, 2007
    World
    I had that happend on my Mimiaki a few times but not as bad, I tightend up the take up and turned the heat down and It solved the problem

9. hand851

hand851 Roland Mutoh & Mimaki inks digiprint-parts.com

Nov 22, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Change media and see if it is still doing it.

10. E Coloney

E Coloney Member

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Do those lines correspond with pinch roller positions? The only pinch rollers I use are at the extreme ends of the vinyl and then give a "long" time to dry before cutting.

11. Joseph44708

Joseph44708 Member

Jan 16, 2020
    Florida
    If you are using the roll take up and you don't tape the media onto it straight, it will skew and creat a tent or ripple effect that the head strikes against and that skid mark.
    If you pause the printing when the media starts to touch the floor place three pieces of tape along the edge of the media, crawl under the printer from the back side, push the tension bar foward and pull the media evenly towards you while putting pressure on the tension bar and adhear the media to a take up roll. Press pause to resume printing.

12. 2ny

2ny Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Norway
    You also have to make sure you unload the roll before printing. I have experienced similar when the printer has to unroll the vinyl as it prints.

Best regards
    Tony

13. Jester1167

Jester1167 Premium Subscriber

We used to get strange anomalies like that in the winter. When you turn the heat on the humidity goes down and the static builds. We only had it happen with the magenta head and on banner material. As static builds up in the material it pulls the ink towards it instead of it firing straight down.

I tried grounding the machine with no luck. We had to raise the humidity in the shop. One benefit was we stopped getting zapped on the laminator all winter.

• Informative Informative x 1