• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland Versa art 64" & royal soverign 64" laminator

jerryz636

Hi all, im thinking about jumping into sign making, (mostly car wraps, banner printing, posters) and i can pick up the roland and laminator for 20k. Is this a good start or should i start with something else? any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

im also not sure what else i can print with this printer, but if anyone can open my eyes to other possibilities with this printer or other printers.

ChiknNutz

What is your experience with sign-making...any? If none, why the hell not...everyone else seems to think it's a cake-walk. After you've figured out it ISN"T that easy, I'll come buy your equipment for $.50 on the dollar.

Oh, and welcome :thumb:

jerryz636

well, im a designer/computer guy. I do silk screening and heat press on shirts, mostly for churches and little league baseball. I have a roland plotter, 36" that easily is my top money maker. I outsource my banner jobs now, never done a car wrap but my cousin installs car wraps and has helped me install vinyl designs on 52' trailers. I would really like to get into full wraps, but not sure if im starting with the right equipment.

ChiknNutz

Well at least you have some related experience. That is a great printer from the specs, but you will also be wanting a large plotter for contour-cutting some images, unless you can on your existing plotter (does it have an optical eye sensor)? If you want a 2/1 machine, look at the VP-540.

jerryz636

i started with the roland gx300 36" plotter, it has the optical eye, so i figure i dont need another cutter, but would like a good decent printer. Anyone familiar with it or something better"? Best bang for the buck

What is your experience with sign-making...any? If none, why the hell not...everyone else seems to think it's a cake-walk. After you've figured out it ISN"T that easy, I'll come buy your equipment for $.50 on the dollar.

Oh, and welcome :thumb:

Bitchin! I'll give ya $.65.........naw, yeah that looks like a real nice printer. I have had 2 Rolands so far and loved them both, great printers and great tech support if you need it. Free phone support, you can't get that from Mutoh.

My goal is to upgrade to that printer by this time next year.

GZ SIGN DESIGNS

your plotter and laminator choice is fine but make sure you really want to do wraps. they are not as easy as some may belive to be . But once you've mastered quite a few they become ALMOST second nature...

synergy_jim

welcome....

at least you are not another " I am getting into sings cuz its so easy and anyone can make tons of money at it" guy....

DRamm76

Here's my two cents about getting into the industry. I've worked in the field for over 12 years total between selling equipment and making signs. I have seen customers come and go over the years and I think it all boils down to passion. I have seen customers come to me and they ask more questions about price and get so focused on how much money they are spending that they don't take the time to learn the product the right way and think they are going to just buy a machine for an amazing deal and it will make money itself.

This business is not one for everyone. You need an eye for detail. You need passion. You need drive. You have to be willing to invest your money the right money and work hard and keep up with this industry to have it make money for you. Often people forget how it's not the Dealer's responsibility to have the machine make you money. It's yours. It's your dealer's job to sell you the RIGHT equipment. The rest relies on you.

Ask yourself, what are your reasons for getting into this business? If your answer is for every reason other than "to make more money" then welcome aboard..i'm sure you'll be fine. We're all here to make money, it's like stating the obvious.

As for dealers, they are there to show you the way..Take two dealers..you approach both of them with $30,000 in cash and you tell them "I just want to cut vinyl letters for signs but have no idea how much it costs"...The dealer who sells you a $6000 vinyl cutting package and sends you home with $24,000 in your hand...Or the guy who tells you, "you NEED the Roland XC-540 54" Printer Cutter"...Which one are you going to trust?

mark galoob

i can relate

wee ll, i just want to get into sign makin cause it seems like a easy way to make me some money.....ill do it out o my shed in the back 40...

LOL

seriousley, to the guy who jumped on this poor newby for just askin a very legimate question...that was for you

i have the same issue, i have a printing background and own a pack/ship/print place in texass. looking to expand to a 2nd store w/ shirts & signs... hell Obama givin out free money...

i figure to really get into signs ill spend about 40k or so and get a 64" set up w/ wide format, lam, cutter, and all the other doodads and gagets.

im looking at the sign warehouse stuff and am very impressed. any danger signs out there from these guys i should be aware of?

mark galoob

synergy_jim

The roland equipment will make you a ton of money if you know how to use it.

If you are going to start wrapping, plan on dropping lots of f-bombs and wasting a ton of material before you get anywhere close to being good at it.

We have done quite a few cars and I still wonder why every time we do another one. Then we get done and step back and it all makes sense.