• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland Versa Express lines

rydods

Member for quite some time.
What do you think could be causing these lines and how can we fix them?

Roland Versa Express RF 640
3 years old
happens on all media mostly in blue and green colors
Has happened since I received the printer, haven't been able to pinpoint it and have dealt with it
Company that sold us the printer is out of business

Attachments

• 20191209_110214.jpg
    20191209_110214.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 378

Scott at Roland

What do you think could be causing these lines and how can we fix them?

Roland Versa Express RF 640
3 years old
happens on all media mostly in blue and green colors
Has happened since I received the printer, haven't been able to pinpoint it and have dealt with it
Company that sold us the printer is out of business

Hi Rydods - Can I assume that your image is rotated and the banding you are seeing is horizontal off the printer? Hard to tell exactly, but it could be a feed calibration/head height issue. Make sure to try printing in low head height. Also, what print mode are you working in? Are you printing in VersaWorks?

One thing I would test to check the individual colors - First, do a Nozzle Test to confirm that all heads are firing properyl. Then, create a file in your design application that has four boxes aligned horizontally. They can be any size but make sure they are big enough to see the artifact when you print, and that all colors print on the same print passes. Fill the first box with 100%C, then the next with 100%M and so on. When you print in VersaWorks, select "Density Control Only" in your Color Management section. This will isolate each specific color from the printer and help you determine where the issue is.

Without knowing more (profile selection, calibration settings, densities, etc) sometimes it's difficult to nail down these types of print artifacts. But this would be a good start.

rydods

Hi Rydods - Can I assume that your image is rotated and the banding you are seeing is horizontal off the printer? Hard to tell exactly, but it could be a feed calibration/head height issue. Make sure to try printing in low head height. Also, what print mode are you working in? Are you printing in VersaWorks?

One thing I would test to check the individual colors - First, do a Nozzle Test to confirm that all heads are firing properyl. Then, create a file in your design application that has four boxes aligned horizontally. They can be any size but make sure they are big enough to see the artifact when you print, and that all colors print on the same print passes. Fill the first box with 100%C, then the next with 100%M and so on. When you print in VersaWorks, select "Density Control Only" in your Color Management section. This will isolate each specific color from the printer and help you determine where the issue is.

Without knowing more (profile selection, calibration settings, densities, etc) sometimes it's difficult to nail down these types of print artifacts. But this would be a good start.

Hi Scott, Thanks for the response. We are printing in Flexi Sign but I did test a print in versaworks and the same issue occurs. We've tried various profiles and print modes as well.

I will try your recommendations and let you know what I come up with.

Yes the image is rotated in the picture, sorry.

rydods

Ok here are several test prints as well as the CMYK test I did through versaworks. M-Y-K look nice and solid but you can see C has the lines through it. I hope this helps in your diagnosis. I you need anything else just let me know. Thanks again!

Attachments

• test 3.jpg
    test 3.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 227
  • Test 2.jpg
    Test 2.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 201
  • Test.jpg
    Test.jpg
    417.3 KB · Views: 219
  • C.jpg
    C.jpg
    438.9 KB · Views: 309
  • MY.jpg
    MY.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 196
  • K.jpg
    K.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 209

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I'm no tech, but your Cyan test print looks really and you're getting some cross-contamination with Yellow ink.

I'm surprised this only shows in green and blue prints. Were your test prints always this bad since it was installed?

Sorry you got left with no dealer support - I hope you can get it sorted out with Roland. Good luck!

rydods

I'm no tech, but your Cyan test print looks really and you're getting some cross-contamination with Yellow ink.

I'm surprised this only shows in green and blue prints. Were your test prints always this bad since it was installed?

Sorry you got left with no dealer support - I hope you can get it sorted out with Roland. Good luck!
The Blues have always been this bad, my production crew has dealt with it up to this point. We also have a Roland Pro-4 but the scan motor is failing and I'm in the middle of replacing. So long story short, this "blue" issue is now my main focus as I have a partial wrap to print today and 80% of it is blue.
I really haven't run many test prints but from what I can remember, I don't recall seeing the cross contamination before.
I should point out that I have never used 3rd party inks in either of my printers. Only Roland Eco Sol Max 2.

Scott at Roland

You are definitely having an issue with your cyan. If you look at the nozzle test print you can see some deflection there as well. If you haven't done a manual cleaning in a while it might help a bit. You can try soaking a swab in cleaning fluid and GENTLY pressing it against the print head in the area where Cyan is located. Be very careful as you can end up worse than you started if you do this wrong. I am afraid that troubleshooting this type of issue remotely will not be successful. I understand that your local dealer is no longer there, but if you like, please feel free to PM me and I can take your contact information and forward it to my service guys who will help you find a tech. If you want to go that route, please include your printer serial number and I will do what I can to assist.

rydods

You are definitely having an issue with your cyan. If you look at the nozzle test print you can see some deflection there as well. If you haven't done a manual cleaning in a while it might help a bit. You can try soaking a swab in cleaning fluid and GENTLY pressing it against the print head in the area where Cyan is located. Be very careful as you can end up worse than you started if you do this wrong. I am afraid that troubleshooting this type of issue remotely will not be successful. I understand that your local dealer is no longer there, but if you like, please feel free to PM me and I can take your contact information and forward it to my service guys who will help you find a tech. If you want to go that route, please include your printer serial number and I will do what I can to assist.
Thanks Scott, you have been very helpful, I will try a manual cleaning and gently swabbing. I contacted another supplier of mine (Wensco) and they have a tech that I contacted yesterday and he has been helpful as well. He gave me some additional parts to replace and things to try. I will PM you my info if I need anything further. Thanks again!

rydods

To get the wrap out try printing a uni-directional sample of it and see what you get. Uni sometimes helps to mask issues.
Thanks! It did help. You can still notice it but it definitely masked it a bit like you said.