• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Roland VG640 problem

BoF

Dear all
Long time no post !
My latest printer (a VG640) displayed HEAD PROTECTION ACTIVATED yesterday & now pauses after every pass

Does someone know the cause of this & how it can be resolved?

Thank you

Joe House

Pausing after each pass is typically caused by one of 2 things on the VG.
1. communications issues - network, cables, NIC, etc. If this has been stable and nothing has changed, I'd start by looking at #2 (especially since you got the head protection message).
2. Ink bag not recognized. - In Versaworks Dual, double click on the image of your printer and see if any of the cartridges show with an "x" under them of if any read as empty. Replace that cartridge(s) and try again.

Good Luck,

Joe

RISEgraphics

Sorry about adding to an old thread, but I'm having a similar issue with my machine.

No changes to connection or wiring, no warning or error messages are displayed on the printer or in VersaWorks and all ink bags are showing 1/2 full or better. I thought maybe file size could have something to do with it, but it seems to stall after passes randomly.

Here's a video to show what I mean..

https://signs101.com/media/roland-vg-640-stalling-between-passes.9733/

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Sorry about adding to an old thread, but I'm having a similar issue with my machine.

No changes to connection or wiring, no warning or error messages are displayed on the printer or in VersaWorks and all ink bags are showing 1/2 full or better. I thought maybe file size could have something to do with it, but it seems to stall after passes randomly.

Here's a video to show what I mean..

https://signs101.com/media/roland-vg-640-stalling-between-passes.9733/

That looks like either a network issue or file size issue. If you are using a hub or switch I would connect the printer directly to the RIP computer and try that to see if anything improves. If it does, your network hardware is malfunctioning. If it still has issues I would change the cable just to rule it out. After that the only other hardware that could be causing issues is the printer itself or the computer's network card.

Also, if you have it set up to RIP and Print at the same time, the file size is large and the computer is not that great, that will cause this issue as well. The fix there is to either set it up to completely RIP before printing or upgrade your computer.

Mainframe

Did you try turning the machine off in the front and in the back? Main and sub power, that's what I would do first. Also I would unplug and reconnect the printer connection cable and restart the computer.

RISEgraphics

Printer is already connected directly to the computer. The computer is limited to only be used as a "remote" for the printer, so there's no background applications running.. just VersaWorks.

I will restart the printer and restart the computer as well as set the next prints up to rip then print instead of rip and print, as suggested. Will report back if the issue persists. Thank you, everyone!

RISEgraphics

So the restarting of the machine and the computer worked for a little while, but it's back to the same ol' struggles. :mad: