• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland VP-540i Fuse blowing

robb1121

The fuse for the Black/Cyan heads is blowing as soon as the printer is turned on. I've unhooked all the ribbon cables from all the heads, and powered on. The fuse for the Black/Cyan still blows immediately. The Magenta/Yellow fuse does not blow. Is there something else on the board that I can track it back to since it is blowing without the heads even connected? I have the knowledge and capability of soldering and replacing parts on the board. Thanks in advance for any advice!

devahoch

SIGN MAKING COMPANY
this look like blowed transistor A1746 or C4131 or same resistor 43Ohm connected on this transistor, try to control transistors and resistors on DRIVEBOARD (on transistor and resistor, if RESISTANCE between two legs = 0 Ohm that is blowed). Here is foto on DRIVEBOARD.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20151111_090203871.jpg
    IMG_20151111_090203871.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 2,478

FulSnygg

I have the exact same problem but with Y/M, any good luck fixing the problem yet?

The fuse for the Black/Cyan heads is blowing as soon as the printer is turned on. I've unhooked all the ribbon cables from all the heads, and powered on. The fuse for the Black/Cyan still blows immediately. The Magenta/Yellow fuse does not blow. Is there something else on the board that I can track it back to since it is blowing without the heads even connected? I have the knowledge and capability of soldering and replacing parts on the board. Thanks in advance for any advice!

robb1121

I have some new transistors coming in today. I used to have a SP-540v, and i had to do the same thing. I had a bad print head that ended up blowing the fuses and transistors. Ended up replacing the print head, fuses, and transistors and then was good to go. I try replacing the resistors and fuses first since they are quote inexpensive compared to a print head. If they blow again, then I know its a print head issue. Will keep you posted on my results.

I have the exact same problem but with Y/M, any good luck fixing the problem yet?

FulSnygg

Thanks and good luck!

I have some new transistors coming in today. I used to have a SP-540v, and i had to do the same thing. I had a bad print head that ended up blowing the fuses and transistors. Ended up replacing the print head, fuses, and transistors and then was good to go. I try replacing the resistors and fuses first since they are quote inexpensive compared to a print head. If they blow again, then I know its a print head issue. Will keep you posted on my results.

DRamm76

When did you purchase this machine that there is no current warranty in place on it to have a certified technician come take a look at it?

FulSnygg

How's it going with the transistors?

robb1121

I purchased the machine used. This model had been discontinued for a while now, so there is no warranty. I have not replaced the parts yet. This is an extra printer so I'm not in a rush, and we are so busy in the shop it is on the back burner. Hopefully over Christmas break i'll get a chance to work on it.

phototec

I replaced the resisitor today that was showing 0 on the OHM meter. That got the yellow and magenta print heads going again. Purchased the transistors from DigiKey.

What, I'm confused, when you started teh post you said:

The fuse for theBlack/Cyan heads is blowing as soon as the printer is turned on. I've unhooked all the ribbon cables from all the heads, and powered on. The fuse for the Black/Cyan still blows immediately. The Magenta/Yellow fuse does not blow.

Now you are saying you got the yellow and magenta print heads going again, however they were NOT the problem before?

robb1121

What, I'm confused, when you started teh post you said:

The fuse for theBlack/Cyan heads is blowing as soon as the printer is turned on. I've unhooked all the ribbon cables from all the heads, and powered on. The fuse for the Black/Cyan still blows immediately. The Magenta/Yellow fuse does not blow.

Now you are saying you got the yellow and magenta print heads going again, however they were NOT the problem before?

I had some crossover issues when troubleshooting earlier. I switched head locations on the printer, which caused the transistor to blow. The root of all my problems was a bad cyan print head. Now that transistors and fuses are replaced, I am functioning on 3 printheads, awaiting arrival of a new printhead for cyan.

To sum it up wherever tha bad printhead was connected would blow a fuse and or transistor.

phototec

I had some crossover issues when troubleshooting earlier. I switched head locations on the printer, which caused the transistor to blow. The root of all my problems was a bad cyan print head. Now that transistors and fuses are replaced, I am functioning on 3 printheads, awaiting arrival of a new printhead for cyan.

To sum it up wherever tha bad printhead was connected would blow a fuse and or transistor.

Ok, cool. Now another question about changing those very SMALL fuses, how the heck do you de-solder and re-solder them onto the circuit board?

I also purchase parts from DigiKey, how did you figure out what part number to order?

Thanks

robb1121

Ok, cool. Now another question about changing those very SMALL fuses, how the heck do you de-solder and re-solder them onto the circuit board?

I also purchase parts from DigiKey, how did you figure out what part number to order?

Thanks

My printer has fuse holders so I can just pop them out. On my previous printer we would just solder the new fuse on the back of the old fuse. If it were to blow again, just remove the piggy backed fuse and solder on another. See photos below. For parts on digikey i just narrowed down results to match the size of the fuses and match the amps. Same for the transistors. Just match the numbers.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20160125_090736.jpg
    20160125_090736.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 1,690
  • 20160125_090644.jpg
    20160125_090644.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 1,988

player

Thanks

Don't remove the old fuse, carefully solder the new fuse right on top of the old one. Use your jewelers lens to help see up close.

Better yet, solder a wire from each end of the old fuse on the board, then solder a fuse holder to the wires and you won't have to solder a blown fuse again.

When I did that the fuses I got were rated the same as the original ones, but the fuse was the larger glass style.