Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roland Vp540 print perfect first print then next print sucks

Discussion in 'Roland' started by evil ink, Dec 14, 2020.

1. evil ink

evil ink New Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Windsor ontario
    Im on my second vp540. IT prints me fist print perfect no matter how big. Even the Crop marks are perfect. As soon as im done my first print i select my next print and the crop marks come out messed up. I clean the heads and start to print and the whole print is good all the way thru. It doesnt matter how long the print is so it has me confused. any help is apppreciated

Tags:
  2. balstestrat

balstestrat Active Member

Aug 25, 2020
    Between the bits
    When your carriage goes out to print is the cap full of ink?
    When have you last done basic service? Caps, wiper etc?
    There's nothing on the bottom of carriage? You have cleaned around the heads?

3. SignMeUpGraphics

SignMeUpGraphics Moderator

Apr 11, 2012
    Australia
    Photo of a problem print?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. 7_nebo_7

7_nebo_7 Premium Subscriber

Oct 19, 2010
    USA
    Maybe head strike?

5. evil ink

evil ink New Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Windsor ontario
    yes the tops have ink in them no bubbles in the lines i can see. have new wipers and cap station. Heads get wiped around the egde once or twice a week. head hasnt touched anything.

It literally finished printing and i pressed print for the next file

Attached Files:

6. Jim Hancock

Jim Hancock Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Delray Beach, Florida
    The captops should NOT have ink in them after a cleaning cycle. Please verify...

7. evil ink

evil ink New Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Windsor ontario
    the caps do not. i was thinking the dampeners. what would cause the ink to stay in there

8. Jim Hancock

Nov 11, 2008
    Delray Beach, Florida
    If I understand correctly, the caps do not have ink in them after a cleaning cycle and they shouldn't. The dampers should always be at least 1/2 to 2/3 full of ink. When you print again, as soon as the print is finished, please print a nozzle test print and post here. We will go from there.

9. evil ink

evil ink New Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Windsor ontario
    if i print and run a test print under cleaning they got all messed up

10. evil ink

evil ink New Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Windsor ontario
    have my old vp540 for parts and am debating on swapping the print board

11. Jim Hancock

Nov 11, 2008
    Delray Beach, Florida
    As requested, a pic of the nozzle test print immediately after a good print job is the next step to help determine your issue. This is the only way to start to determine what is wrong...

12. evil ink

evil ink New Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Windsor ontario
    will post one tmrw morning when im around my printer

13. evil ink

evil ink New Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Windsor ontario
    soo went to my printer. did normal cleaning got a good test print. printed 200 decals. did test print and it was find. did another print of 8 decals and was good and so was next test print. i did notice around the cap station liked like there was a decent amount of ink. im going to clean that today. i wonder if its not removing all the ink? i appreciate every ones help.

14. Morten CHristensen

Morten CHristensen New Member

May 21, 2020
    Denmark
    To me it looks more like a board/cabel problem data looks scrambled.. one print OK but then it warms up and craps out..

15. Jim Hancock

Nov 11, 2008
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I see from one of the pics that you have some aftermarket caps. The issue you have could be related to aftermarket parts. When was the last time you replaced the caps and dampers? You want to use Roland OEM caps and quality aftermarket dampers.
    Solventinkjet carries Roland OEM caps. Roland Cap Top | Solventinkjet.com I learned the frustrating way about the inconsistency of aftermarket caps and only use OEM, especially on DX4 heads. You can also order O-rings from them. 2mm O-ring (Pack of 5) | Solventinkjet.com Small dampers - Roland Small Damper & O-Ring | Solventinkjet.com Large dampers - Roland Large Ink Damper & O-Ring | Solventinkjet.com
    These guys are techs as well as dealers and I have had consistently good results with their parts.

16. evil ink

evil ink New Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Windsor ontario
    If i a run a normal clean it prints fine again the main board was replaced a few years ago.

they are and i did just replace them. i used a syringe to draw in thru and listen for air leaks and i didnt hear any. i havent done the dampeners. i have about 10 or so of them here and new manifolds in case they break when changing them

17. Jim Hancock

Nov 11, 2008
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Then dampers would be good. One or more are probably starting to fail...

18. evil ink

evil ink New Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Windsor ontario
    OK. i will change them out. Thank you

19. evil ink

evil ink New Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Windsor ontario
    ok guys here's a update. i haven't switched the dampeners yet but im going to. i did a small print today and the last cpl inches of it went all messed up. over spray and stuff but then printed the crop marks ok then my test print came out perfect. any ideas. im thinking its a the print head board. an help still is greatly appreciated at this point

Attached Files:

20. Jim Hancock

Nov 11, 2008
    Delray Beach, Florida
    It is possible a component is heating up and starting to fail, but let's eliminate the inexpensive parts first, i.e., the dampers. What head height are you set at? This time of year static can be an issue. If your head height is on high, lower it and see if the overspray goes away or improves...