• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland VP540 recommendations??

kustom.printing

I am just trying to find some good Vinyl for my VP540 any help would be appreciated.

I am going to be using Oracal 651 for Car graphics 1 and 2 colour.

Anything more than that or Decals I will use Metamark MD5-B 50m 1370mm (£3.57pm) and Metamark Metaguard 700 50m 1370mm (£3.40pm).

Is there cheaper or better viynl to use or has anyone had any experience with these suppliers.

Also can UK licence plates be made on the Roland like these

http://www.thewho.org/plates/515uk.jpg

and if so does anyone know where I could get the supplies from.

Thank you for your time.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Never heard of the brands you mentioned for printing... I use Oracal 3651 on my VP540 for most of what i do decal-wise...

luggnut

don't know what metamark is... but i use 3651 daily prints great works great... next time i order i'll probably try the 3165ra. as for vehicle graphics for most i try to stick with cast .... i use avery ezrs and 3m for wraps and large graphics and use oracal cast 3751 for smaller stuff

ScottB

I've never heard of the Metamark brand, but I use Oracal's Orajet 3164G for most of my decals. Since I live on the other side of the "pond" I dont know if the European style plates are reflective (they are in most of the US). I'd recoomend 3M's Reflective 5100R if you wanted to print directly to it. Run it through the laminator or clear coat it to protect the print.

Good Luck!

Theres always a cheaper or a better vinyl "not the two together"

Metamark is a little bit thicker vinyl but is high end and works good for its application. Theres only 1 vinyl I would compare to that type of metamark its called Convex but it too is a high end thick product both are not what I would consider cheap...

As for Oracal 651 its a standard intermediate vinyl, There's a lot of comprable products Avery, Arlon, 3m, Gerber, GMI, GFI also known as shine rite or Digi-cal etc. Depends on what you like or know how to use. Personal prefrence is what it comes down too.

You should be able ot contact suppliers that are the closest to you and see what they offer. Thats how you will know were to get it. You also have to understand in other countries prices will be different. Oracal or Orafol is a company that is from your side of the pond. I would imagine it to probably be a little cheaper over there, but the prices are going to vary.

If you are buying a printer new thats something that should be gone over with the sales rep. b/c thats how they make money not as much on the printer as they do on media and ink....

Lastly if you buy a Roland it should come with 3 or 4 rolls of different materials.

mac_man_luke

We used Orajet 3164G for our first roll through our RS640 - it was ok but did not like heavy ink coverage at all - went all blotchy which improved if cranked the heaters up heaps but still there.

We are now using 3m IJ20, its much nicer to use and around the same price.

AlexT

I have put over 50 rolls of Orajet 3164G and 3651G through my VP-540 with grate results. I have tried Roland, 3M, Avery, Arlon, Solvex, each with its own problems, Oracal however seems to have the least.