• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland vp540 surge protector

balstestrat

Problem Solver
How many amps does Roland say it needs? It says it next to the cable on the back. You can base it on that. 1000VA is good for running ~600watts depending on the manufacturer.
Also only you know how long you want the UPS to run so buy one that suits your needs. Does it really help if it runs for 4 minutes?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
You have 230 volts? Then you would need at least 1000W UPS. Which would be at least 2000VA.
But it's up to you for how long you want to run it.

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
Your going to need a big UPS and a huge battery to run it any length of time.

Volts X Amps = WATTS

120v X 4.2 amps = 504 watts

solantis

I only need it to power the printer for around 2 hours as our electricity tends to go off from time to time for 2 hours only.

But I intend leaving it connected to the printer the entire day

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Would it be printing during that time or not?

Without printing during that time on standby/sleeping you can probably get on with a 2000VA unit.

If you print... Well just don't. Buy a diesel generator if you have to print while black out.

solantis

So if a 1000VA unit can push 600w and the printer requires 504 watts why wouldnt it work?

I've already bought the unit so I need to make it work. I merely need it to avoid the printer going off when the electricity goes down and not for printing but that would mean that I needs to be connected 24/7

balstestrat

Problem Solver
So if a 1000VA unit can push 600w and the printer requires 504 watts why wouldnt it work?

I've already bought the unit so I need to make it work. I merely need it to avoid the printer going off when the electricity goes down and not for printing but that would mean that I needs to be connected 24/7
Because you didn't answer me if you have 230V and with that 4.2A = ~960W :mad:
If you have 120V in South Africa and the 4.2A was for that voltage, then yeah 1000VA is fine.

signage

for a short period of time being 230V!

Like said above if you are looking to be using this printer with power outages you should get a backup Generator and a UPS to supply power while the generator is starting up.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
please, don't do this
this is a topic where i have all too much experience

unless you want to spend upwards of $1500 on a good, online dual conversion ups, you will do more damage than good. i plugged one of my older rolsnds intoa GOOD heavy duty rack mounted APC backup. the sounds from the roland power supply scared the s**t out of me.

i posted a picture of the type of surge protector you should purchase, the kind the copier people use. these are what i protect all my pronter plotters and color lasers with. ricoh WILL NOT cover one of their machines with a service plan unless it is plugged into one ofv these (ricoh could care less about your investment, but they DAMN SURE want to protect their own)

if i can do some video capture of the difference between good clean ac line voltage, ups generated ac voltage, and what the transition looks like whrn the ups "switches over" i will. then everyone will understand why this is NOT a good idea.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
like this...

Attachments

• 1001201137_Burst01_resized.jpg
    1001201137_Burst01_resized.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 150