• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland VS 540i ink emptied

BUCKY

Off to a great start on Monday here. Came in to this mess this morning from our Roland VS-540i.
All the ink cartridges in the machine are empty. We have been having issues with the Magenta ink
dripping lately while printing, and placed a called for a tech weeks ago. Needless to say getting one to service these machines in a timely fashion is a real challenge in our area.
Can anyone tell me what caused this and if anything can be done in the meantime to patch or repair it?
Tech is still two weeks out due to "back ordered parts" for when they do show up.

Attachments

• IMG_3739.jpg
    IMG_3739.jpg
    506.1 KB · Views: 220

zopylote

some pressure changes can affected the behavior of the ink, check dampers and caps they can be old, check the pump too if it’s closes ok

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Usually this is caused by a siphon and siphons happen for a couple reasons. The number one reason is the cap top sponge swells and touches the bottom of the head. Since it's a sponge, it creates a siphon effect that starts to pull all of the ink out of the system. OEM caps normally don't do this but aftermarket ones, depending on where you get them, tend to be more susceptible. You can normally tell if the cap is causing the issue just by looking at the sponge and seeing if it's swollen above the rubber seal or even if there is just a small fiber sticking up above the rubber, that can cause the siphon.

In your case, since you mentioned that the magenta was dripping during printing, it very well could be the magenta dropping out while it is capped that is causing the siphon. The damper is responsible for two things. The number one thing is keeping ink flow to the head consistent during printing. The second thing a damper does is it regulates the pressure so that ink doesn't just drop out of the head like yous is. I would change the dampers on the magenta and all colors if they are over a year old. That should fix the magenta dropping during prints and could fix your siphon issue. There isn't much eles it could be after that.

BUCKY

Usually this is caused by a siphon and siphons happen for a couple reasons. The number one reason is the cap top sponge swells and touches the bottom of the head. Since it's a sponge, it creates a siphon effect that starts to pull all of the ink out of the system. OEM caps normally don't do this but aftermarket ones, depending on where you get them, tend to be more susceptible. You can normally tell if the cap is causing the issue just by looking at the sponge and seeing if it's swollen above the rubber seal or even if there is just a small fiber sticking up above the rubber, that can cause the siphon.

In your case, since you mentioned that the magenta was dripping during printing, it very well could be the magenta dropping out while it is capped that is causing the siphon. The damper is responsible for two things. The number one thing is keeping ink flow to the head consistent during printing. The second thing a damper does is it regulates the pressure so that ink doesn't just drop out of the head like yous is. I would change the dampers on the magenta and all colors if they are over a year old. That should fix the magenta dropping during prints and could fix your siphon issue. There isn't much eles it could be after that.

Thank you Vander for the information! I will be contacting you via your website.