• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland VS-640i and Light Bar

altereddezignz

Can anyone tell me if they have any experience with any of these 2? We are looking at buying a new Roland
VS-640i and have seen the addition of the [FONT=proxima-nova, arial, sans-serif]light-bar[/FONT] with the solvent UV inks?
Looking to see if it would be a good investment and would work well with vibrant colors and so on with durability.

inkfrog

I have the VS540i with solvent UV inks. The Roland is a good machine, ours runs 10+ hours a day with very few mechanical issues.

I am not sure if the ink formulation in the USA is the same as the UK but the ink is not as robust as print samples we have seen from a UV led set up.

If I were to make the same buying decision again I would choose a print only set up with a separate cutting system. However I am changing to UV led ink rather than the solvent UV. You may lose a little more media because the print has to pass in front of the UV curing setup, which is a couple of feet past the print head. Also on the last job you need to send a blank file so that the print passes the curing set up.

Main advantage is that the print is ready to laminate straight out of the machine so speeds up workflow. You will need to get profiles done for the media you are intending to use, the ink performs on some media better than others.

I would send them a couple of files and ask them to print them, then do your own scratch testing etc.

Inkfrog