• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland vs Mimaki

anthonyd969

Premium Subscriber
Hello fellow sign makers.
I have had a Roland sc545ex pro II for about 7 years. And basically know the machine in and out. I need to add another machine to the shop because I just am afraid of its age . I have started looking at both but wanted opinions on how you may feel who are using either machine.
Salesman are there for the moment then make the sale and you all know how it goes.
I was looking for 54" machine for either. Being a Roland owner I felt that was my direction but after the AC show this year I heard poor reviews so that's why I looked into the Mimaki.
Thanks for your help.
Anthony

particleman

You'll have to be a little more specific to get some helpful info. Are you looking at Mimaki latex or Solvent? The JV33 is rock solid and proven, but does have some disadvantages to new latex options (no smell, instant dry, print quality). Since you know roland machines well you may be ahead sticking with that brand as there are plenty here who love their Rolands. If latex is an option, then you should also be looking at the HP latex machines.

rjssigns

Umm, you bring up reliability from hearsay yet your Roland has been solid for 7 years? I have an "old" SP540v and have seriously considered getting another. Why? Redundancy and I know the machine inside and out. And while slow by today's standards it just keeps pounding out the work. With two I know I would always be able to keep at least one going.

Overheard at a show is not conclusive data. Those folks may have been shills for the competition. Think it doesn't happen. Check different forums and see how many "users" have been outed.

JgS

I know people like their JV33s so it's worth looking into. I have a 12 year old SJ540 that still prints great, and a VP540. I really like both of them.

player

I was told by a tech that Roland is the superior brand. He also stated Roland hols s many patents that the others have to design their machine in some ways inferior to get around the patents.

Mosh

Been using Roland stuff for 25 year, they make long lasting machines....
I have one printer that is 8 years old and still using the original head, and a plotter that I got in 1994 still cutting away.

DRamm76

Hello fellow sign makers.
I have had a Roland sc545ex pro II for about 7 years. And basically know the machine in and out. I need to add another machine to the shop because I just am afraid of its age . I have started looking at both but wanted opinions on how you may feel who are using either machine.
Salesman are there for the moment then make the sale and you all know how it goes.
I was looking for 54" machine for either. Being a Roland owner I felt that was my direction but after the AC show this year I heard poor reviews so that's why I looked into the Mimaki.
Thanks for your help.
Anthony

I've been a Roland Sales and Service rep for over 13 years. Ive never sold anything else. I am a 24/7 guy in this industry. I am not a sell it and see ya guy. There are times when I can't answer within 10 min or even an hour, but I always get back to my customers. I only sell Roland because I KNOW it is a superior product. I can sit and here and run the pitch as some would say on this forum or I can prove it. I have more Roland units on my floor than anyone in the tri state area. If you would like to come to my showroom and bring some files, I will make a believer out of you in the product and show you first hand why Roland is the superior product.

I dont push the "other guys" because of support history, service issues and it all becomes a matter of "lowest price" which is simply foolish because nobody gets in this business to "save money" We are in it to MAKE money. And I have helped MANY people in my career make a LOT of money. Can I satisfy everyone? No. That's reality. No one can unfortunately but I can give you at least 40-50 references of successful customers that LOVE their Roland and keep it clean and maintained and are VERY happy

PM Me for more details. I am in Flemington NJ and Livingston NJ with two locations. Thanks

anthonyd969

Premium Subscriber
I know what allot are saying about Roland being reliable and I feel the same. I was just interested in the mimaki when I seen it recently at the AC show and a recent visit to a supplier.
As for latex? I really haven't researched them because I didn't hear that they were able to print and cut. Plus, the long term lasting quality.

I have been in business since 1989 and I wish I had visited this site more often but I'm here to stay.

I really appreciate everyone's input and comments.
Thank you.

NateF

I was also at the Atlantic city show and was torn between the Roland vs-540i and the mimaki. I spent several hours back at my motel reading everything I could find online comparing the two. It seemed like Roland had the market cornered as far as reliability is concerned.

I bought my own files to the dealers at the show and had them printed on both the Roland and the mimaki. I have to say that the quality of huge mimaki seemed just a hair better. Not to say that the Roland was bad, but the mimaki just looked a little nicer.

i ended up going with the Roland. I purchased a demo model at the show, which brought the price down even closer to the mimaki. The clincher for me was a number of people - many on this forum - that we're having trouble with the mimakis. It seemed like a lot of them were nozzle alignment issues, which may have been more the fault of the tech than the machine. Especially since this was my first wide format printer, I felt far more comfortable with the Roland. We've had the Roland about a month now. I absolutely love it and have no regrets. Btw, I purchased from Premium Sign Supplies in Telford. They were great at the setup and have been great also answering questions that I have had for them along the way.

anthonyd969

Premium Subscriber
thanks

Thank you

I was also at the Atlantic city show and was torn between the Roland vs-540i and the mimaki. I spent several hours back at my motel reading everything I could find online comparing the two. It seemed like Roland had the market cornered as far as reliability is concerned.

I bought my own files to the dealers at the show and had them printed on both the Roland and the mimaki. I have to say that the quality of huge mimaki seemed just a hair better. Not to say that the Roland was bad, but the mimaki just looked a little nicer.

i ended up going with the Roland. I purchased a demo model at the show, which brought the price down even closer to the mimaki. The clincher for me was a number of people - many on this forum - that we're having trouble with the mimakis. It seemed like a lot of them were nozzle alignment issues, which may have been more the fault of the tech than the machine. Especially since this was my first wide format printer, I felt far more comfortable with the Roland. We've had the Roland about a month now. I absolutely love it and have no regrets. Btw, I purchased from Premium Sign Supplies in Telford. They were great at the setup and have been great also answering questions that I have had for them along the way.

DRamm76

:peace!:

inkmed

Both Roland and Mimaki are good printer.
So, you just choose the width you need, the printer head you prefer (DX5 head or DX6 DX7 head), then compare the price.

Good luck.

Adam Yang from Inkmed

petesign

Love my jv33. Wish it was a 63" instead of a 54". Though then I would have to buy a new laminator, etc...

I haven't had the experience of working on or owning a Roland, but the Mimaki is a pretty solid machine.

Robert M

Old Rolands

Having worked on an old Roland won't be much help with a newer unit. While Mimaki and Mutoh switched to the new Epson 8 channel print heads years ago, Roland has recently followed their lead. These new printers have a single eight channel print head that makes repairs and adjustments easier. Make sure when you compare printers you look at what comes in the box. All Mimaki printers come with auto take ups and at lease 8 carts of 440ml inks. This alone can save you thousands of dollars. They are all good printers, find the one with the best value.

synergy_jim

started with a sp300 8 years ago. Solid machine but slow.

Upgraded to an Xc540 6 years ago. Solid machine, fast, never replaced anything but a capping station.

Upgraded to XR-640 last month. Faster than the XC and love the white and silver. I hope it lives up to the legacy of the printers that came before it.

I haven't worked on enough Rolands, especially the new ones to give an authoritative opinion but I have worked on Mimaki's for years. Back when I was still working for Mimaki USA and the JV33 came out, all us techs were afraid that it was going to put us out of a job! Construction of the machine is really simple without a lot of extra sensors, levers and other components that could fail, and the first couple of years any of us barely had to touch one after install! That said, there are many of them in the field that are starting to wear out now, but it's mostly simple, cheap stuff like pumps, capping stations and the occasional drive pulleys. An advantage of the Mimaki is that you're getting a true, full-solvent ink.

If you need print-cut in one machine then the CJV Series is basically a JV33 with cutter build into it.

hyperdrive

Ya gotta make sure the "service" is there to support you! Each machine has strengths/weakness. I loved the epson prints quality ect...Just no service local to me.
I have the roland xr-640 and it runns very well, also has a great support network.. THANKS DAN!!! If you are in the northeast tri-state are stick with the roland..And Tyrrell tech
Dan and the gang are amazing.. came out on a holiday on a days notice to get me running......no need to look any further.

DavidT

Upgrade to XR-640

started with a sp300 8 years ago. Solid machine but slow.

Upgraded to an Xc540 6 years ago. Solid machine, fast, never replaced anything but a capping station.

Upgraded to XR-640 last month. Faster than the XC and love the white and silver. I hope it lives up to the legacy of the printers that came before it.

I am considering upgrading to the XR640 (or HP Latex)I have been using the XC540 for about 5 years, couple of Rolands a mutoh and Mimaki before that.
How much faster is the XR640 than the XC540, printing banners for example. at what speed will banding become visible?
Is the white ink expensive to have sitting there if not used much?
Do you find the print heads more consistent in the XR640, the XC540 has been a great and reliable printer but I do get times when banding starts during a print and have to clean heads and reprint.
IF you run light black do you find neutral grays, more neutral in different light.

Many Thnaks in advance for any info