• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland Vs. Summa

Sinclair

We are looking to buy a new plotter for our shop. I have been quoted a Summa D140 54" cutter and a Roland GX 54" Cutter. The sales guy suggest a Summa... I am looking for some feedback from others on there preference. What are others using and how well does it work?

Thank you!

CS-SignSupply

Feel free to give me a call if you like; 1-877-602-4237

I am a sales guy but a long time user ... That sounds kind of bad :)

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Hello Sinclair,

While I am also obviously biased, our plotters have many advantages over the Roland GX including cutting speed(44 in/sec versus 33 in/sec), cutting force(400 grams versus 350), max cut thickness(30 mil versus 20 mil), and most importantly the cutting accuracy(our models have guaranteed cutting accuracy within +/-0.004" over a 26 foot section).

Please feel free to reach out by phone(800-527-7778, ext 112) or by email(philj@summa.us) if you would like to compare these two models in more detail.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Summa Inc.

decalman

I got Roland and Summa.
Although my Summa is newer, I like it much better. The tracking is sensational.

Gene@mpls

Bought a T750 Summa 20 years ago and it still cuts great- the T series is for tangental and is a great upgrade IMO. Also have a GX as it couples seamlessly with my Roland printers and Versaworks (and works fine)- otherwise, Summa reigns. Gene

FatCat

Our D140 has been going strong for nearly 4 years now. We upgraded from a Roland CX-300, and while I still think the Roland was a good machine, the Summa is better. *The only thing I miss about the Roland is the auto sheet cutoff tool.

letterman7

20 years with my T750 as well, and it's just now starting to show some minor issues. Solid workhorse, can't go wrong.

bigben

Summa without question!! If you can afford it, get the S Class!! WELL worth the extra money.

Same here. I've bought the D Class and wish I would go with the S Class with tangential knife. I was a 10+ years user of Roland cutter before I bought my summa.

brdesign

I have used both Summa and Roland plotters and highly recommend Summa, and get the tangential knife if you can afford it.
I am not a fan of the Roland plotter.

Split76

I've had only summas for the last 15 years, and changed both to tangential models. Can't go wrong with Summa s2 T:s . I'm never going back to drag knife.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Good afternoon,

I know this is an old thread, but wanted to let everyone know my new email address is philj@airmark.com in case anyone would like information on the various Summa cutter models mentioned. Feel free to reach out anytime if I can help out.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext 112
philj@airmark.com

Melks

I own a Roland cutter and have no complaints. I used to work at a sign shop and operated an older Summacut machine. Both are great in my opinion. Never seem to hear much bad news about the Summas when it comes to cutting!