• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland XC-540 Help (Die Cutting)

NolaSignGuy

I've been having issues with my die cutting not being centered. I'll print a row of 2 inch decals and the first two are spot on, but the further down the line it goes; the more the cut seems to shift toward the carraige home. Is there some remedy besides replacing the cut cables and the encoder sensor (Which I did last month for other issues) that I am missing?

TIA

NolaSignGuy

I tried die cutting with the crop mark detection and it works fine and cuts straight; but with just the regular print the cut approach it still die cuts off to the right

CS-SignSupply-TT

NolaSignGuy, according to your second post in this thread, "...I tried die cutting with the crop mark detection and it works fine and cuts straight..." It appears you have found the solution to your issue, CONGRATULATIONS!

NolaSignGuy

Thanks genius, I still don't want to have to use the crop mark detection every time. Do you even know what I'm talking about? If I use the crop marks, then I have to go back and let the sensors read the crop marks then die cut instead of just printing and cutting.

ucmj22

You can also try setting your page size to only being deep enough to accommodate 2 or 3 rows of decals. In versaworks setup you will see a page break after 2 rows then it will continue 2 more then page break and this will continue until the desired quantity is reached. The result will be that it will print the 2 rows then cut the 2 rows before movin on to he next 2 rows. This vastly increases the cutting accuracy on large quantities of small decals.

CS-SignSupply-TT

I apologize for the offense. I failed to ask enough questions. Your signs101 "about me" indicates you are using Versaworks. If I remember Versaworks correctly, in the "help menu" you can query "...contour cut without crop marks..." Good luck.

NolaSignGuy

I have tried the calibrations for the print/cut and crop mark/cut, I also cleaned the laser that reads the encoder strip (shortly after I learned that the encoder strip doesn't control the cut), and I have replaced the cut cables. At least I'm not up the creek without a paddle since it works with the crop marks, but even my Roland rep doesn't know where to go with this. I've tried contacting my other friends whom are techs, but no luck. Thanks for advice guys, I'll try anything new at this point.

J Hill Designs

Im not understanding why you dont want to use crop mark detection...that is, after all, what crop marks are for? (print/cut)

NolaSignGuy

I don't use the crop marks when I am printing the decals then cutting them immediately, I only really use the crop marks for printing then laminating and cutting. However, now I have to use them.

scuba_steve2699

it sounds like your cable tension might be off along with running a calibration on the print cut alignment. Try running a full set of calibrations and see if that helps.

NolaSignGuy

I have tried a full set of calibrations and one tech said that it might be the cable tension also, I appreciate your advice and will try adjusting that.:thankyou:

DRamm76

It sounds like the tension cable. Print & Cut alignment can and has been affected by simple factors such as media thickness, loose/worn pinch roller or tension, dirty grit rollers, tracking, or even the environment. I am not saying any of these are your direct issue, but I think it would be wise to have your Roland Rep look into ALL of these scenarios .

Just out of curiousity, what did you use to clean the encoder strip. Did you remove it and wipe it down? or just run a swab behind and in front of it?