• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland Xc540 issues

gggraphics1

I'd really appreciate some input with issues I'm having with my printer. Im In business for over 40 years. My Roland xc540 has started doing self-cleaning every three or four feet of print. Also having magenta problems. Magenta fades after a few feet of printing . I have changed caps but it didn't help. Techs tell me the cleaning issue could be firmware. I'm still running firmware version 1 they're up to version 4 something now. I'm afraid to make that jump. Would anyone have access to Firmware versions two or three that I may be able to get? Has anyone else experience the issues I'm describing?

cornholio

Your issue is, because the chip on the cartridge is not read correctly. (If this happens, the machine adds cleanings after a certain number of scans.
If you use some bulk system, replace the chips.
It's also possible, that the latest chips are not recognized anymore by your outdated firmware. I wouldn't be aware, the use of the latest FW causes any troubles, except maybe with some stone age Rips. (Versaworks 5.51 works perfectly with it)
The magenta problem could be caused by agglomrated pigments clogging the damper. Changing the damper usually helps. If only for a while, dump the ink, flush the tubes, replace the damper again.(or backflush it).
While doing this, check the system for leaks. At some point, the tubing gets small cracks, where air gets in. (Official lifetime of the tubing is 3000h, but they normally hold longer)

Last edited:

Sean@CedarHouse

Printing Money
Also, check your magenta line for any leaks. Leaks can cause backflow and then dropout. The leaks usually happen around the brass connectors on the ink lines or at the ink cartridge station. If you see anything fresh, then that's a likely culprit.

gggraphics1

Your issue is, because the chip on the cartridge is not read correctly. (If this happens, the machine adds cleanings after a certain number of scans.
It's also possible, that the latest chips are not recognized anymore by your outdated firmware. I wouldn't be aware, the use of the latest FW causes any troubles, except maybe with some stone age Rips. (Versaworks 5.51 works perfectly with it)
The magenta problem could be caused by agglomrated pigments clogging the damper. Changing the damper usually helps. If only for a while, dump the ink, flush the tubes, replace the damper again.(or backflush it).
While doing this, check the system for leaks. At some point, the tubing gets small cracks, where air gets in. (Official lifetime of the tubing is 3000h, but they normally hold longer)
Thanks for your response ! If youre not aware of any issues going from firmware version 1 directly to version 4.7 Im going to try that. SInce Roland doesnt offer support on older machines any longer, Ive been hesitant to do that. Hopefully that will resolve my cleaning issue and then I'll address the magenta dropout.

gggraphics1

Also, check your magenta line for any leaks. Leaks can cause backflow and then dropout. The leaks usually happen around the brass connectors on the ink lines or at the ink cartridge station. If you see anything fresh, then that's a likely culprit.
Thanks for the response !. I will open the machine at the ink station and check it out

gggraphics1

Thank you! I upgraded the firmware from one to 4.7 and it seem to have fixed the cleaning issue! Now on to the magenta issue