• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland XC540 pro III low ink

Extreme540

Say has anyone else had a roland machine say its out of a color yet you feel the cartridge and it still has ink in it? And not just a tinny bit but enough I would say to keep printing? I hate to change them and let all that ink go to waste! Any ideas? Thank you

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
On that machine you should be able to just take the cartridge out and put it back in which will reset the ink level to 100%. That being said, if your ink level sensor is out of wack it could just be triggering early. Take a flashlight and look inside each cartridge holder. See if anything looks out of the ordinary. The level sensor is a small black plastic lever on the back bottom right side of the holder.

flyinhawaiian968

Edit:
Well, I didn't realize this was several months old when I posted! My bad...

Nope, cartridges are chipped and will not reset back to 100%.
If there's a fair amount of ink in the cartridge, you can continue printing, sometimes for weeks. I won't suggest this to anyone else, but I do it because I know this machine very well (been doing this since new in '05). You can clip the plastic tab on the ink cartridge and run it for another few weeks.
I also use a syringe and pull all the ink out of the old cartridge and put it in the other used cartridge in the machine (not the new one I'm installing). I've pulled 70cc's of ink out of "empty" cartridges, and almost always at least 30-40cc's.
Of course, I watch my prints very carefully and don't do long print runs if I know a cart is really low. I know how much printing I can get away with by flipping the cart up and down and watching the tab's movement.
If you don't want to be a tight-ass like I am, just replace them and not worry about damaging a print head by doing what I do. I haven't damaged one yet, but some day I may push it too far...

Last edited: