• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Roland XC540 RIBBON CABLES & SCAN MOTOR ERROR HELP REQUIRED

Adam24

Hi been having an issue with our Roland xc540 get scan motor error code 0090 0080 however ive noticed its due to the ribbons getting caught.. they seem very loose / slack prints will run but then they get caught and it will show up with the error.. I am sure they are not supposed to look like the attached photo please advise on what I can do..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,145
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 657

rjssigns

This information is based on my SP540V, but your's looks very similar.

There are plastic hold downs for the cables. They are held in by tiny plastic pins/rivets. Looks like they came undone causing your issue. You can order those bits from a Roland dealer.
You will also have to set the correct looping of the cables to prevent binding. There should be a specification in the service manual.

Adam24

This information is based on my SP540V, but your's looks very similar.

There are plastic hold downs for the cables. They are held in by tiny plastic pins/rivets. Looks like they came undone causing your issue. You can order those bits from a Roland dealer.
You will also have to set the correct looping of the cables to prevent binding. There should be a specification in the service manual.
Hi thanks for this information!
Just checked all rivets are fine and nothing come away however the tension does look very slack it seems to look like to me they are supposed to be glued down i.e the plastics and they are not..

rjssigns

Hi thanks for this information!
Just checked all rivets are fine and nothing come away however the tension does look very slack it seems to look like to me they are supposed to be glued down i.e the plastics and they are not..

Nothing should be glued. Only thing I can think of is something got hooked on the cables and pulled them creating extra slack. I know when I replaced the ribbon cables I manually moved the carriage to check for proper "looping" of the cables. I spent about 15 minutes making sure it was right.

Keep us updated and post the solution once you get it figured out.

Adam24

Nothing should be glued. Only thing I can think of is something got hooked on the cables and pulled them creating extra slack. I know when I replaced the ribbon cables I manually moved the carriage to check for proper "looping" of the cables. I spent about 15 minutes making sure it was right.

Keep us updated and post the solution once you get it figured out.
Hi to update I changed the platic ribbon guides and put new riverts in however still same issue makes a kink in the cable and I stop the print to avoid it snapping or breakinng the ribbon etc

Joe House

The is always going to be some slack. It's a rolling loop. As RJ pointed out though, it needs to be the correct amount of slack and it takes some time to get it dialed in. If it's been caught on something, you'll need to replace the ribbon cable add well as the plastic guides. Then dial it in properly.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Adam24

The is always going to be some slack. It's a rolling loop. As RJ pointed out though, it needs to be the correct amount of slack and it takes some time to get it dialed in. If it's been caught on something, you'll need to replace the ribbon cable add well as the plastic guides. Then dial it in properly.

Hi Joe I only replaced the plastics not the ribbon would this be required to be changed also? There are a few kinks in the ribbon from getting caught previously.
Cheers
Adam

Joe House

When i do it, i always recommend replacing the cable, the guides and the cut carriage board, but if you replace the board, you'll need to calibrate the crop mark sensor.
The board is probably not necessary, but that way, we've covered all the basesand it has to come out to replace the cables anyway and the board is cheaper than another service visit later.

Good luck,
Joe