• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

roland xf640 waste ink buildup

flyplainsdrifta

anyone have any good tips for cleaning out some gunked up ink in our waste ink receptacle under the wipers in an xf640? right now im just using flush to break it up and hopefully get it to drain. any tips or tricks to speed this up would be much appreciated. thanks all!

estunum

We have 3 Rolands but not sure how the XJ-640 works. There's something underneath the wipers that drains in the ink waste bottle? On ours, the two things that drain into the bottle are the tubes that come from the pumps of the printhead(s), and another from the "mist surge" sponge, that sits right next to the wipers. That one has clogged once on the large printer and had to pull the tube out to get it to drain again. The gunk came off surprisingly easy, like a big piece of melted wax.

flyplainsdrifta

cool thanks. i think my mist sponge in there has started to break apart so that may be what is causing my problem. hopefully i can figure it out so it drains a bit better. still draining no problem, just want to clear those lines.

Joe House

I've worked on some where the customer didn't realize that the "mist under sponge" #15 below was there and never changed it when changing the upper sponge (#16 below). It breaks down and ink dries up in the tube. I've just put forceps down the tube and pull out what I can and follow that with pushing a swab saturated to dripping with cleaning fluid through the tube till it's clean. You may need to remove the tube (not shown in this diagram) from below the tray (#23 below) if it is really clogged. But I've never had to replace that tube.
upload_2019-10-22_11-55-25.png

Good Luck

flyplainsdrifta

I've worked on some where the customer didn't realize that the "mist under sponge" #15 below was there and never changed it when changing the upper sponge (#16 below). It breaks down and ink dries up in the tube. I've just put forceps down the tube and pull out what I can and follow that with pushing a swab saturated to dripping with cleaning fluid through the tube till it's clean. You may need to remove the tube (not shown in this diagram) from below the tray (#23 below) if it is really clogged. But I've never had to replace that tube.
View attachment 143518
Good Luck

awesome thanks joe. really appreciate the feedback. yeah i think my current mist sponge is shot so i may just end up pulling up what i can and moving from there.