• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland XJ - linear encoder sensor?

CarolinaCabinet

Hey guys,
My Roland XJ-740 is misreading the media width. No matter how wide the media is, it's telling me it's the full printer width. I read online that it was probably due to a dirty linear encoder. I clean this strip gently every few weeks and it stays very clean, just a little dust but never any ink or gunk. Now the print is starting to have slightly faded lines coming away from the print. My guess is that the sensor that reads the linear encoded could have some overspray or dirt on it. Any other ideas, or if you think I'm correct, does anyone know how to clean this sensor? I can't even see it back there. Thanks guys!

odhisteve

well just check at unit that holds the media cutter/knife. it has screws that attaches it to the head carriage. it is located under this unit you can easily see the sensor cable running to it. there are to ways of cleaning it, fast make sure you printer is powered off, using the head unlocking tool that was supplied with the machine, unlock it then move it to the far left. you will have to open the cover at the left. you will be able to to see it and just use cleaning swabs and alcohol. The second one you remove the cutter unit,clean it and put it back while the head is in home position

cdiesel

Are you getting any scan motor errors or stair stepping in the prints? If not, I doubt it is the encoder strip.

Our XJ stopped reading the media width a long time ago. The sensor that reads the media itself went out (it's the small sensor to the left of the head carriage assembly) and we never replaced it since it runs fine without it. This sensor reads the mylar strip that runs the length of the platen. You can try cleaning this mylar strip or cleaning that sensor.