• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Roland XR-640 print quality - horizontal line

LaurisGr

Hello All,

I've just printed on my XR-640 on Phototex wallpaper media. I've noticed this horizontal line about one third from the bottom that should not be there. I've never had this before, after reprinting artwork, this line is gone. But I'm still wondering what could the reason for this to happen?

many thanks,
Lauris
20210121_171927.jpg

Attachments

• 20210119_174526.jpg
    20210119_174526.jpg
    842.6 KB · Views: 296

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
Beautiful image!

I can think of a few things this might be, or a few things that are related to banding.

- Is it the start of a roll? Sometimes I find the first few feet may have glue/tape marks or other banding. We roll out past these on new rolls if it's an important job.

- If the media is not loading into the printer flat/square, a raised ripple can cause a band vertically down the print (or worse, headstrikes)

- Did the ink need to be replaced in the middle of the job? Or anything else that would interrupt the job (a connection issue, for instance)?

- A gradient will sometimes band, especially without the right media profile. Adding noise to the image can help.

- Rarely, a RIP is bad (VersaWorks might crash in the middle, or something may interrupt) and the image needs to be re-RIP'd.

- If the media gets caught on the roll and can't feed out, the head may pass over the same spot more than once, leaving a darker band. We've had this happen with a sticky roll or at the end of the roll if we forget to watch it closely, because the pinch rollers aren't pulling it forward.

I'm not sure any of those are your problem, but in case anyone else ends up on this thread with a band, perhaps this can help them out.

LaurisGr

Thanks very much for your input, useful information. In my case it has not been a new roll, and I did not replace ink. One of the remaining options is possibility. Thanks for sharing.

Beautiful image!

I can think of a few things this might be, or a few things that are related to banding.

- Is it the start of a roll? Sometimes I find the first few feet may have glue/tape marks or other banding. We roll out past these on new rolls if it's an important job.

- If the media is not loading into the printer flat/square, a raised ripple can cause a band vertically down the print (or worse, headstrikes)

- Did the ink need to be replaced in the middle of the job? Or anything else that would interrupt the job (a connection issue, for instance)?

- A gradient will sometimes band, especially without the right media profile. Adding noise to the image can help.

- Rarely, a RIP is bad (VersaWorks might crash in the middle, or something may interrupt) and the image needs to be re-RIP'd.

- If the media gets caught on the roll and can't feed out, the head may pass over the same spot more than once, leaving a darker band. We've had this happen with a sticky roll or at the end of the roll if we forget to watch it closely, because the pinch rollers aren't pulling it forward.

I'm not sure any of those are your problem, but in case anyone else ends up on this thread with a band, perhaps this can help them out.