Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rolco quick dry gilding size...any good?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by signmeup, Sep 2, 2011.

1. signmeup

signmeup Major Contributor

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    Anyone here use Rolco quick dry size? What are your thoughts on it?

Tags:
  2. signmeup

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    Does it skin over like One Shot fast size?

3. Jillbeans

Jillbeans Major Contributor

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    I like it better than the 1S stuff but I still hate it.
    Try and use the LeFranc (sp?) slow size, even I can gild OK with that.
    But I'm a mediocre gilder at best.
    (I never wait long enough)
    Love....Jill

4. mrchips

mrchips Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Rolco works just fine for me and I know others who use it as well.....no problems.

I never have a problem with skins......I use every drop in the can.

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!

5. signmeup

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    Thanks you guys. I'll give Rolco a go.

Here is my old can of One Shot. I use a screw in the bottom to get the size out. I've never had the lid off. If you open the can to use it you'll see a thick skin on the surface of the size when go to use it next time. Squeezing it out of the screw hole prevents air from getting into the can and spoiling it all. I put just enough size for the job into a little cup and throw away any left over when I'm done.

I will see if the Rolco does the same skinning over thing soon enough I guess. (I've never seen anything skin over as bad as One Shot gold size)

Attached Files:

6. Forum Studio

Forum Studio New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Canada
    Every tim you take some size out of the can ,put one or two glass marbles in.The key is to keep amount of air in container and above size to minimum. This is old trick used by sign painters. Cheers

7. John Butto

John Butto Very Active Member

Jan 9, 2007
    that pic came out nice of the oneshot can, color, dust on top, what kind of camera

8. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Rolco is just fine for us, too. I'm not in the shop today, so I can't see the various ones we use, but we really like the regular size. I'm no fan of the fast size from any manufacturer. I like a larger window of time.

The key to skins is like Forum mentioned, it doesn't matter if you open the top or the bottom, it's the amount of air that gets left in the can after each time it's opened. Same goes for all of your paints. If you don't use them up fast enough, they'll skin over, eventually using up all of your drying agents and then not drying at all some day. Many times, we just put some cellophane in the can and that does the trick.

9. signmeup

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    Canon SX 230 HS. Amazing little camera. I bought it for the video it shoots. Works better than the JVC camcorder I bought in the first place and returned. I have a big Canon digi SLR but it's bulky and I end up never having on me when I need it. This one's always with me. It takes way better pics than the camera I forgot at home.

10. signmeup

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    Thanks for your thoughts Gino. The can of One Shot I have is at least a year old and now has maybe a tablespoon left in it. Never lost a drop to skinning. Never opened the can either. I have had 3/4 of a can of this stuff turn to jello before.

The Rolco didn't skin over as I was using it so I'm encouraged that it won't be as bad as the One Shot.

11. signmeup

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    Any of you guys use two coats of size before you gild? I always have. I find it gives me a better surface. The first coat seals up the paint and glues down any micro dust. I let the first coat dry completely before putting on the second coat.

12. Forum Studio

Forum Studio New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Canada
    This helps to prevent "skin" forming issue.Cheers

13. Forum Studio

Forum Studio New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Canada
    I always us two coats.Make sure first coat is fully dry .This is very important when use slow size .Second coat may wrinkle if first is not dry.