• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rolco quick dry gilding size...any good?

Jillbeans

I like it better than the 1S stuff but I still hate it.
Try and use the LeFranc (sp?) slow size, even I can gild OK with that.
But I'm a mediocre gilder at best.
(I never wait long enough)
Love....Jill

mrchips

Rolco works just fine for me and I know others who use it as well.....no problems.

I never have a problem with skins......I use every drop in the can.

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!

signmeup

Thanks you guys. I'll give Rolco a go.

Here is my old can of One Shot. I use a screw in the bottom to get the size out. I've never had the lid off. If you open the can to use it you'll see a thick skin on the surface of the size when go to use it next time. Squeezing it out of the screw hole prevents air from getting into the can and spoiling it all. I put just enough size for the job into a little cup and throw away any left over when I'm done.

I will see if the Rolco does the same skinning over thing soon enough I guess. (I've never seen anything skin over as bad as One Shot gold size)

Attachments

• oneshot.jpg
    oneshot.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 231

Forum Studio

Every tim you take some size out of the can ,put one or two glass marbles in.The key is to keep amount of air in container and above size to minimum. This is old trick used by sign painters. Cheers

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Rolco is just fine for us, too. I'm not in the shop today, so I can't see the various ones we use, but we really like the regular size. I'm no fan of the fast size from any manufacturer. I like a larger window of time.

The key to skins is like Forum mentioned, it doesn't matter if you open the top or the bottom, it's the amount of air that gets left in the can after each time it's opened. Same goes for all of your paints. If you don't use them up fast enough, they'll skin over, eventually using up all of your drying agents and then not drying at all some day. Many times, we just put some cellophane in the can and that does the trick.

signmeup

that pic came out nice of the oneshot can, color, dust on top, what kind of camera
Canon SX 230 HS. Amazing little camera. I bought it for the video it shoots. Works better than the JVC camcorder I bought in the first place and returned. I have a big Canon digi SLR but it's bulky and I end up never having on me when I need it. This one's always with me. It takes way better pics than the camera I forgot at home.

signmeup

Rolco is just fine for us, too. I'm not in the shop today, so I can't see the various ones we use, but we really like the regular size. I'm no fan of the fast size from any manufacturer. I like a larger window of time.

The key to skins is like Forum mentioned, it doesn't matter if you open the top or the bottom, it's the amount of air that gets left in the can after each time it's opened. Same goes for all of your paints. If you don't use them up fast enough, they'll skin over, eventually using up all of your drying agents and then not drying at all some day. Many times, we just put some cellophane in the can and that does the trick.
Thanks for your thoughts Gino. The can of One Shot I have is at least a year old and now has maybe a tablespoon left in it. Never lost a drop to skinning. Never opened the can either. I have had 3/4 of a can of this stuff turn to jello before.

The Rolco didn't skin over as I was using it so I'm encouraged that it won't be as bad as the One Shot.

signmeup

Any of you guys use two coats of size before you gild? I always have. I find it gives me a better surface. The first coat seals up the paint and glues down any micro dust. I let the first coat dry completely before putting on the second coat.

Forum Studio

Any of you guys use two coats of size before you gild? I always have. I find it gives me a better surface. The first coat seals up the paint and glues down any micro dust. I let the first coat dry completely before putting on the second coat.

I always us two coats.Make sure first coat is fully dry .This is very important when use slow size .Second coat may wrinkle if first is not dry.