• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roll to roll wide format printer 16 ft or wider

KaranGrewal

I searched throughout sign 101 forums, but didn't find any information regarding roll to roll 3 meter or 5 meter printers. is there any specific related to this topic. I found flatbed printers but roll to roll 16 ft or bigger. please help.

KaranGrewal

best printer available in 16 ft wide roll to roll category. Like HP AGFA , or vutek. right now we have colorspan 72" W printer but looking to buy 16 ft wide printer since we are outsourcing lot of our work right now.

API

In the States the barak is sold by Fuji as the uvistar. The uvistar is very versital and very fast. Have 2 Hp 5300 an a uvistar 2. Like both. Check out Fiji.

API

Yes. Has wings that raise up on sides of print top and you lay a cloth provided with machine to absorb ink. After done, run a cure pass and roll cloth back up to use again latter. Very easy.

KaranGrewal

Yes. Has wings that raise up on sides of print top and you lay a cloth provided with machine to absorb ink. After done, run a cure pass and roll cloth back up to use again latter. Very easy.

since you have both HP and Fuji, which one you would suggest for first time buyer. also please advice if its possible to do double side printing on these machines.

Montrealer

Senior Operator
I operated a HP Scitex XLjet5 (solvant ink), Vutek QS3200 and the Uvistar 2, and if i had to choose i would pick the Fuji Uvistar 2 for many reasons.

1- Very fast, the media dosent move much with the freefold pinch in the front

2- for 2 side printing (recto-Verso) thats ideal, not very hard to do a good alignment and u can print an entire roll without fear. With the HP scitex, the media move whatever you doing at start, to align it properly, than you had to cut the media after 4-5 up, otherwise the verso will be off, wasting media to reload...On a vutek its very hard to do a roll to roll printing on 2 side...when i was a vutek operator i print the recto in 1 shot in roll (web) than i sheet the roll and do a verso printing in sheet mode (flatbed). Once again its very hard to align on a vutek in roll to roll printing. Thats a big plus for the uvistar if you ask to me.

The thing i hate with the uvistar, thats the multi-roll printing, if you print on 3 roll, 54 inch roll. at the same time, the stepsize (feed compensation) become unstable...for example u see white line stepping in roll 1, perfect printing on roll 2, and black line on the third roll...Its very long to adjust and its not easy. Also the machine dosent support well when its hot, lamp problem could appear.

MXM substrate are very tuff to print on that machine, the worst its probably the MXM blockout, big UV effect, like all UV machine in some enrich color u had to print in unidirectionnal to remove the effect.

I dosent like HP at all, good luck to reach someone when u had to do a customer call service, i operated a HP FB6700, the only thing i like from that machine its the last minute correction option on the work station thats it.. =P

my choice as operator are :

Uvistar2
Vutek
HP

KaranGrewal

Thanks Montrealer

I operated a HP Scitex XLjet5 (solvant ink), Vutek QS3200 and the Uvistar 2, and if i had to choose i would pick the Fuji Uvistar 2 for many reasons.

1- Very fast, the media dosent move much with the freefold pinch in the front

2- for 2 side printing (recto-Verso) thats ideal, not very hard to do a good alignment and u can print an entire roll without fear. With the HP scitex, the media move whatever you doing at start, to align it properly, than you had to cut the media after 4-5 up, otherwise the verso will be off, wasting media to reload...On a vutek its very hard to do a roll to roll printing on 2 side...when i was a vutek operator i print the recto in 1 shot in roll (web) than i sheet the roll and do a verso printing in sheet mode (flatbed). Once again its very hard to align on a vutek in roll to roll printing. Thats a big plus for the uvistar if you ask to me.

The thing i hate with the uvistar, thats the multi-roll printing, if you print on 3 roll, 54 inch roll. at the same time, the stepsize (feed compensation) become unstable...for example u see white line stepping in roll 1, perfect printing on roll 2, and black line on the third roll...Its very long to adjust and its not easy. Also the machine dosent support well when its hot, lamp problem could appear.

MXM substrate are very tuff to print on that machine, the worst its probably the MXM blockout, big UV effect, like all UV machine in some enrich color u had to print in unidirectionnal to remove the effect.

I dosent like HP at all, good luck to reach someone when u had to do a customer call service, i operated a HP FB6700, the only thing i like from that machine its the last minute correction option on the work station thats it.. =P

my choice as operator are :

Uvistar2
Vutek
HP

your reply came in at perfect time, as I m preparing to see uvistar printer. Thank you so much for detailed replay, after talking with few large format print shops , we came down to 2 printers , fuji uvistar and Durst grand format printers.

DougWestwood

HP Scitex 1500 - 16ft wide printer

Hi There,

I have run an HP 16 ft wide printer. It was at Epic Imaging in Port Coquitlam, BC.
Great machine. They bought it used and got it up and running very well.
I was running it till I got a new job last fall.

They might be selling the machine, or at least, give you a good price on your outsourcing.
Contact them through their website. Chris Robinson is your man/ the owner.
Tell him Doug Thoms sent you!

Good Luck!
- Doug