• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roll your calendar back to 1975

Billct2

Yea, that would be about 1980 A quick search shows it being introduced in '82, so I would say '83 is correct. We were the first to buy one in our area.

equippaint

Piccadilly-Sign-London-Coca-Cola13.jpg

1975 Safety meetings... Or more like 1954, gotta love the painters attire, or wonder if this was a staged picture.
But really, fun link to a coke advertisement that doubles as a "how the hell did they do that without computers" article for signs: https://www.coca-cola.co.uk/immersive-gallery-folder/the-piccadilly-sign
1975 I was the last thing my old man was thinking about, he graduated HS in '73... He went to school and worked part time for my grandpa. Been running since 1920, so its always been signs for my family.
Somewhere I have a machine that you can trace over a master tile to mark out a letter shape, dials and such for sizes. Anybody recall what those were called?
Looks safe to me. They had explosion proof lighting

Andy D

Hand painting was before my time, but I learned basic sign layout from middle-aged guys, who had painted their whole lives.
Even if half the stories were true, they spent the 1st part of the day recovering from a hang-over and the second half
drinking while they worked. One guy, a friend of mine, decided to quit drinking the day he fell off a billboard he was painting
three times in one day... I guess they didn't make billboards as high off the ground back then !?!?

ddarlak

Go Bills!
i was 7, about the only thing i can remember from then is learning to play chess and that school sucked