• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rollers on Laminator not putting pressure in center

JoeBoomer

We have a Royal Sovereign laminator that is about 1.5 years old. Minimal use before I started working here. The rollers seem bowed in the middle, so they are not putting enough pressure in the middle when mounting substrates. Also, it doesn't seem to put enough pressure when we laminate.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks

dale911

President
I'm running a Royal Sovereign cold laminator in my shop (54") and had similar issues. I couldn't physically see an issue with the machine, but due to pressure being uneven across the rollers, it would cause the lam and substrate to pull unevenly, resulting in wrinkles and air bubbles. I asked a RS tech about it at a trade show and he told me I needed a pressure gauge and gave me their parts department number. I don't have that number here, but essentially, it's a flat piece of thin aluminum with a eyelet on one end that hooks onto what is essentially a fish scale. You hook it scale onto the edge of the feed table and let the rollers pull the aluminum through until it pulls pressure. While it's still running, you can measure the roller pressure. If you have the sides off the laminator, there is a large allen head screw that adjusts the pressure on each side. Just measure the middle pressure and then adjust the side pressures to be the same and your materials will go through evenly.

Sorry I don't know the exact name of the tool they gave me. If I remember correctly, it was under $70 to get it from them. Well worth it in my opinion. They are one of the few companies that don't charge a billion dollars for a simple part in this business and their service dept is fantastic.

JoeBoomer

I had a tech come out and adjust the pressure on my rollers. He got the sides to be even (reading of 10 I'm guessing ft./lbs?) and the center was way low at like 4. No matter what he did he couldn't get it even. So, I'm stuck with a POS laminator that isn't pressing my lam down hard enough to even laminate properly. I was at a tradeshow this last weekend and had two other people tell me they ran into the exact same issue.

Royal Sovereign quoted me $4000 for new rollers. I've only used this machine for 1.5 years.

Royal Sovereign sucks. I wish I had my old Seal laminator.

DO NOT BUY ROYAL SOVEREIGN.

player

I made a cheap one of those scales. I used some thin copper shim stock sheet material cut to about 12" x 1.5". I bought a fish scale at Walmart. I used a black plastic banner clamp to clamp the copper and attach it to the fish scale. Crude, but pretty accurate. I was able to determine my rollers have a hump in the middle. The pressure was even across the length.

AF

Snce the rollers are crowned on the RS, it could be that the silicone jackets have worn out and the rollers need to be resleeved. The crowned rollers are thicker in the center. This causes the center of the roller to have a higher FPM than the sides and accelerates the wear and tear on the sleeves (in addition to oil canning / waves / cockling of the film)