• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ronan Aqua Leaf paint issue

Jean Shimp

I used Copper Aqua Leaf paint on an exterior sign and the paint is flaking off after a year. I would like to post a photo but haven't been able to find instructions on how to do that. So question 1 - anyone else have problems with Ronan Aqua Leaf and question 2 - how do I post photos on this site? Thanks.

Jean Shimp

Thanks Marlene! Here is the photo of the sign showing the flaking paint. The Ronan was applied over latex paint.

Attachments

• Hideaway.JPG
    Hideaway.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 137

Marlene

wow, that is bad. it looks like it is worse at the top of the sign. are the edges of the wood sealed really good? could the wood be damp?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I take it Aqua paint leaf mean it's a water-based paint ??
Therefore, the background is supposed to look like real hammered out copper leaf gild ??

What substrate are you painting ??
How did you prep the surface ??
How many coats ??

Jean Shimp

wow, that is bad. it looks like it is worse at the top of the sign. are the edges of the wood sealed really good? could the wood be damp?
Actually, the photo is upside down so the peeling is at the bottom. The sign is made out of PVC, so there is no concern about the sign not being dry - as PVC does not absorb any moisture.

Jean Shimp

I take it Aqua paint leaf mean it's a water-based paint ??
Therefore, the background is supposed to look like real hammered out copper leaf gild ??

What substrate are you painting ??
How did you prep the surface ??
How many coats ??
The substrate is PVC, which we have been using for about 15 years without any problems. We typically scuff and paint the PVC with one or two coats of acrylic latex paints before rolling on the AquaLeaf. So the top coat is adhereing to the latex paint, not directly to the substrate.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It's quite obvious, the copper paint is letting go of the prime, as there is no white on the back side of the peeling portions. Therefore, you have poor adhesion of the paint to the primer. Most likely, the primer and paint are not compatible. Read the labels and perhaps look for a new primer.

Jean Shimp

is the white we're seeing the latex paint or is it the PVC?
The white undercoat is an acrylic latex paint. Since the AquaLeaf is semi transparent it's important to have a good white base to build upon. I've used this product/method in the past with success. I don't know why a problem has come up and was wondering if the paint formula had changed. I tried contacting Ronan but they did not reply back.

Johnny Best

I wonder if your white undercoat, acrylic latex paint has changed their formula. Those latex paints are getting more additives put in them to repel dirt, fingerprints and even vinyl adhesives have a rough time sticking.
If you have to redo it I would just put latex white primer (Zinsser Bullseye) down with a sanding to rough it up before the AquaLeaf is applied.

tbullo

Superunknown
I think it's the paint as well. As mentioned above, I use the Zinsser method as my base for Aqualeaf.

Marlene

I wonder if your white undercoat, acrylic latex paint has changed their formula. Those latex paints are getting more additives put in them to repel dirt, fingerprints and even vinyl adhesives have a rough time sticking.
If you have to redo it I would just put latex white primer (Zinsser Bullseye) down with a sanding to rough it up before the AquaLeaf is applied.

that is a good point as they've added to stuff to paint to repel dirt and it also repel everything else. we've run into problems with double sided tape so it is very possible that the undercoat of paint is repelling the top layer.