Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rook from AZ

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mantis, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Mantis

Mantis New Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Hello there Guy's and Gal's.

Just signed up and thought I'd say hey there. I'm trying to start my first business. I'm going to be doing several things under my personal side business "umbrella". Hope none of you are "offended" by the type that try to do this on the side,,,, but we all gotta eat while we desperately try to break away from the corporate "machine".

My background is in Electronics, but I will be doing custom artwork framing, build to order furniture, and wood/metal/stained-glass "sculpture". Basically,,, trying to earn some $$ for doing one of the hobbies I enjoy,,,, we'll see.

I'm a member of quite a few other forums, mostly dealing with adult off-road toys, and many folks are forever looking for "one off" or custom vinyl stuff to add a personal touch to their set-ups. I thought I might give it a shot. I figured I'd start with cutting only,,, (smallish stuff),,, if I am able to get a handle on the process and get that off the ground, start tackling some larger format jobs,, then maybe,, just maybe, work my way into printing. (Baby steps as they say :Big Laugh)

After cruising around here for a couple days waiting for my cutter to show,,, all I can say is,,,,, WOW!!! I am completely overwhelmed, and have soooo much to learn,,,, but that's a good thing.!

You probably won't hear much from me for quite some time, (I have a lot of reading to do before I can even START asking moderately intelligent questions),, so I just wanted to thank everyone in advance for all the "know-how" contained on this site.

:U Rock:

Tags:
  2. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    Welcome from PA............ and good luck in your adventure!

3. gvgraphics

gvgraphics Very Active Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Welcome again from PA!

4. Velocity

Velocity Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Welcome from Florida.

5. Replicator

Replicator Major Contributor

Nov 19, 2006
    Sun City, AZ
    Welcome fro the great Pacific Northwest . . . !

6. Square One

Square One Member

Jun 12, 2007
    Blissfield MI.
    Welcome from Southeast Michigan.

7. jiarby

jiarby Major Contributor

Feb 11, 2007
    If you are in QC you should stop by my shop at Ch. Heights & Power and say hello!
    23706 S. Power Rd #A107
    (chandler heights & power)

8. bighun

bighun Member

Jan 19, 2005
    Welcome from Lake Havasu. "Adult Off-Road Toys" huh? We got a Jimco 10 class we're racing this weekend in Vegas. The S.N.O.R.E. 250. Anybody interested check it out at snoreracing.net , we are #1022 in the photos but we just changed to 1020.

9. Pro Image

Pro Image Major Contributor

Nov 28, 2005
    Howdee form VA...........

10. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Another PA welcome..................

11. WVB

WVB Very Active Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Welcome to S101..!

12. Mantis

Mantis New Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Sweet!

I will surely do that! Thanks so much for the invite.:thumb:

13. StitchWerks

StitchWerks Member

Aug 27, 2006
    Welcome from the West Valley.
    As you will find out on this and many other forums. There is a ton of info to learn and a lot of great people on here that share their learning process with you. Everyone started out needing to learn and boy is there a lot to learn with vinyl work. I have a background in embroidery and this was a natural fit to compliment our services with heat applied graphics and naturally vinyl. The learning curve is fast and difficult but it is a lot of fun. Good luck and hopefully you will learn what you need rapidly.
    Just don't cut any corners. :Welcome:

14. Jackpine

Jackpine Major Contributor

Welcome to the group.

15. SignosaurusRex

SignosaurusRex Major Contributor

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington State
    Welcome Aboard!

16. The Big Squeegee

The Big Squeegee Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2005
    Lawton, OK, USA
    Welcome from OK

17. Craig Sjoquist

Craig Sjoquist Major Contributor

Jun 18, 2004
    Orlando
    Welcome to a outstanding forum n ppl

wraps r kewl

18. Mantis

Mantis New Member

Sep 24, 2007

Thanks for the words of encouragement....

I'm tryin hard not to cut any corners,,, I'm starting out with way more cutter than I think I need right now, (Roland GX300) but the only thing I hate worse than tryin to make inadequate tools work well,,, is buying a tool twice!!:Big Laugh

19. Ken

Ken Major Contributor

Feb 7, 2005
    BC
    Good luck Mantis,,welcome from BC...Ken