• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Room temperature for laminating

max

Hello everyone,
I am hoping someone could give some advice on a problem I have.
I need desperately to get a cold laminator. BUT, I really dont have enough conditoned air space left to put it. But I do have plenty of un-conditoned air shop space to put aa laminator which would also give me plenty of room to work around it which I am sure i will need. So I am wondering if anyone else keeps their lamintor in an uncontrolled room. Will something not work correctly if its too hot or too cold in the room when laminating?
Any dvice is gratly appreciated....:peace!:

Custom_Grafx

I'd say it would depend a lot on what your highs and lows are in that room. How hot/cold we talkin? I lam here in an "uncontrolled" room and I'm ok, but our weather here in sydney is pretty mild. Max indoor here is around 25-30c and minimum would be around 10c.

max

We average colds in the winter around
fifty degrees. But our mid summer highs are in the mid 90s. Usually a
lot of humidity also...

max

We average colds in the winter around
fifty degrees. But our mid summer highs are in the mid 90s. Usually a
lot of humidity also...

cdiesel

The lows would worry me more than the highs. Could you do a small space heater to bring the temps up some?

MikePro

mid-50's lows? shoot, i can't imagine you would have a problem.
mainly need to keep the space clean/dust-free.
if anything, store your media in a controlled environment and bring it out to the laminator as needed.

also, get a cold laminator with "heat assist". 100degree rollers help eliminate any potential silvering.

max

Well I guess if I get a heat assist laminator, guess it wouldnt matter how cold it is because the laminator is gonna do the warming for me??? Is that correct?

max

Sweet, thanks guys. Colorado, you saying that you have done it in 10 degrees with a cold lam or a hot lam? thanks so much

MikePro

hot, cold, humid, doesn't matter. cold laminate is just clear vinyl, and will stick just fine without heat. "heat assist" won't really warm your media, but it softens the adhesive of the laminate and helps it "flow" better. "silvering" comes out with care during application, but I have yet to have any when I turn on the heat-assist on my 60" Seal.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Hello everyone,
I am hoping someone could give some advice on a problem I have.
I need desperately to get a cold laminator. BUT, I really dont have enough conditoned air space left to put it. But I do have plenty of un-conditoned air shop space to put aa laminator which would also give me plenty of room to work around it which I am sure i will need. So I am wondering if anyone else keeps their lamintor in an uncontrolled room. Will something not work correctly if its too hot or too cold in the room when laminating?
Any dvice is gratly appreciated....:peace!:

You're worried about the wrong things. There's some actual real things about which you could worry, this isn't one of them. As long as the vinyl is pliable and the adhesive is sticky it can't help but work regardless of, or perhaps in spite of, the ambient temperature.

It's not rocket surgery, it's making signs.