• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

rotary axis

james mcgrew

any of you use cnc lathes (rotary axis) for signage

jim

Attachments

• IMG_5181.jpg
    IMG_5181.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_5177.jpg
    IMG_5177.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 134

PGSigns

Jim
Nice work. When I built my router I did leave room for a rotory at one end. I have started collecting parts. Can you post a pic of your setup, I am always looking for ideas.
Thanks
Jimmy

i have a lot of clients that i have trained that have added them over the last few yrs with varying degrees of success... i would really challenge anyone that is going to add one to really think about what they will use it for because i have seen some alterations made that really make no sense to me.

nice work

james mcgrew

over the next two months or so things will change

vectric announced today on shopbots forum that rotary toolpathing will be in the next update and you are right history has not been easy for users of the rotary axis, this has changed

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/33571/47773.html?1257459720

"[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Posted on Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 6:03 am: [/FONT]
As a number of our Beta testers are posting examples of the new wrapped output from Aspire I thought I had better explain just a little. As has been mentioned on the Vectric forum we have been looking at adding support for 'wrapping' the toolpath output from Aspire and VCarve Pro / PartWorks. For those going to one of the Vectric user groups, we will be showing a brief demonstration during one of Tony's presentations.

The next release of Aspire supports wrapping of toolpaths on output and can also show the 'wrapped' toolpaths inside the program to help with visualisation. We are also supplying a number of 'Gadgets' which are simple add on programs to simplify some of the more common tasks such as initial layout, rounding of square stock, laying out spiral ropes / barley twists and flutes etc.

We hope to have this update of Aspire out before Christmas and will also be working to have the VCarve Pro and PartWorks update out soon after the Aspire release.

The update will be called Aspire 2.5 and will be free to existing users. The VCarve Pro / Partworks update will also be free to users of the current versions (V5 of VCarve Pro and the equivalent PartWorks version).

We also have some other neat stuff for people who don't have indexers!
Brian"

PGSigns

Now that is good news. I have V-Carve pro and Cut 3D and love there stuff. I like your setup and looked at the video's, gives me some inspiration to work on mine.
Jimmy

james mcgrew

i attended the dallas user group last weekend, the fellows from vectric have produced a disk that has identified many of the learning curve isses and put them in laymens terms, the disk also has presentations on advanced 3d modeling and signmaking techniques.

the new release is expected before christmas and at this point i am sooo glad that there is software i did not buy

i also agree with dan, history and cost of software has worked against those who have had rotary indexers, i have seen and used this first hand and been with the beta team on this software, things are going to change.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Greolt#p/a/u/1/dblNnF4JJGk

greg did this with a file converter during the beta testing, cnc wrapper is a simple program for those who may have struggles with older programs.

aspire/vcarve has this built in along with "gadgets" that aloow for alot of other really cool functions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WWKN7C31e4

jim

Last edited: