• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Round 3

T

TonyC

I have read Dan Antonelli's books on logo design and Mike Stevens' Mastering Layout (had to read this one twice and need to read it again). Three very good books and they were even on sale as a package through Amazon. With a new outlook I have attached a couple of new logos with a different direction from the previous attempts. Although I really like the look, I feel they just need "something "tweeked." I know they are not works of art like several on this site can produce but simplistic is a look I like. Any ideas? I know just enough, after reading a few books, to be dangerous to myself. "A doctor's worst patient is himself." Thank you, Tony

Attachments

• LOGOS test.png
    LOGOS test.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 118

Dan Antonelli

Hope you enjoyed the books. I'm about a month out from releasing my third. Very excited to finish it.

Anyway, few points. Lose the INC. You should never have INC or LLC in a logo.

Work on balance, and priority here. Right not there is no priority assigned to the copy levels. Think about breaking into chunks - main copy and subcopy.

'The' should probably not be nearly as dominant as 'Shop'.

If I had to break out in terms of priority.

SIGN SHOP >> #1
OF DALTON >> #2
THE >> 3

Maybe try some alternates for the typography so it's all not the same the face.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
That "G" is painful to look at, like a bayonet....

Your statement about the Mike Stevens book is the usual response, it's a hard read for newbie sign designers. I have claimed that the Mike Stevens book was not a logo book, but a layout out book, and I still insist that. But in this case I thought with all that copy, you could apply the principles of Mastering Layout here. You just have to try looking at the layouts and it helps to have his Showcard book and really study how he applies his principles.

These layouts are in a retro style (40's - 50's commercial artist style thats big nowadays) but I try to prioritize the copy pretty close to how Dan suggested.

Attachments

• sign shop of dalton.jpg
    sign shop of dalton.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 80

Rick

Here are the layouts with color applied...

Attachments

• sign shop of dalton color.jpg
    sign shop of dalton color.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 60

John Butto

Hope you enjoyed the books. I'm about a month out from releasing my third. Very excited to finish it.

Anyway, few points. Lose the INC. You should never have INC or LLC in a logo.

Work on balance, and priority here. Right not there is no priority assigned to the copy levels. Think about breaking into chunks - main copy and subcopy.

'The' should probably not be nearly as dominant as 'Shop'.

If I had to break out in terms of priority.

SIGN SHOP >> #1
OF DALTON >> #2
THE >> 3

Maybe try some alternates for the typography so it's all not the same the face.
First of all thanks Rick for showing your artwork instead of just telling someone what to do. I have great respect for people who are not afraid to be judged.
Took what Dan said to do and did just the opposite. Made "the" #1 / used "incorporated" used all the same type face.
Have never read a book on design and would never buy one either. You start to design, or do anything in life, as other people tell you what is right or wrong, you will never move forward. Thanks Dan for the inspiration.

SignManiac

Doing some other early morning design work. Figured I'd toss out another very simple idea. About ten minutes invested. It could use a few tweaks here and there.

Attachments

• Sign Shop of Dalton.jpg
    Sign Shop of Dalton.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 71

Rick

I'm about a month out from releasing my third. Very excited to finish it.

Being a design book freak, can't wait to get my mits on it, I'm looking forward to it!

By the way Tony, you need to check out Dan's site, lots of inspiration and articles.

Jillbeans

The mix of upper and lower case in the words is making me stabby.
If you are going to put a nipple in the G at least use a very round looking G not a pinchy one.
I'm all for simple but the font choices in this one are mediocre and the priority of words is just not working for me.
Love....Jill

Dan Antonelli

Please tell that's page one in the new book. I have to argue with people constantly over that. Nobody (except the IRS) cares what your tax status is.

Its not on page one, but it's in there in the chapter which deals with naming a small business. The whole 'inc' thing must be something taught to lawyers or accountants who continue to perpetuate the myth to unsuspecting (and now, scared) small business owners.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Although I too, try to talk people out of the LLC, Corp and many other suffixes..... I understand the majority of their reasons.

It cost extra..... therefore they want to promote it. Kinda like a doctor with all those initials behind their name.

Hafta admit, in some cases, the properly place word or emblem is very nice.... and can make a company look very officious. Poorly executed.... and it can be a huge eyesore or mistake.

I hate to see abbreviations, but that's after years of doing it one way. I was taught that a good designer/signmaker/cut & paste artist always spells things out correctly. If you can't figure a way to spell the whole thing out, you aren't a good designer. Even St. Blvd, Ave, Mon, Thurs, Xmas and all the others, you still need to do it right.

Rick

[video=youtube;K8E_zMLCRNg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8E_zMLCRNg[/video]