Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

round hole, square peg. Milling down 1/2" shank to 6mm for Zund collet..

Discussion in 'CNC Routers & Engravers' started by Jorgo, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Jorgo

Jorgo New Member

Feb 13, 2013
    San Diego
    Hello, I own a 2008 L2500 ZUND with 1 Kw router. Purchased mainly for graphics purposes, but we've been using it more and more for CNC projects that require joinery.
    In a perfect world, I would purchase a 91 degree folding miter bit and pop it in there and save about 2/3 the time it takes to make a box.
    Problem is, the Zund's collet options max out at 6mm. It seems to me it should be possible to buy the bit i need and have the 1/2" shank milled down to 6mm.
    But I acknowledge my relative lack of experience in router bits outside of the straight variety available from ZUND, or the 45 degree we miter with post-cnc on our Bosch table router.

What am I missing ? So far no limbs and i'd like to keep it that way, which is why I defer to your collective experience.

Thank you for your time..

SUMMARY: Need a specialized bit, but it only comes in shank size bigger than ZUND can accept. Can we have the shank milled down and what horrific side effects is this novice ignorant of?

2. cbrown

cbrown New Member

Apr 6, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Not familiar with ZUND cutters. Amana tools has 1/4" shank v tip cutters. Onsrud would be another place to look, they can even make custom bits if need be. Depending on qty. and output this might be a viable option

3. Ghost Prophet

Ghost Prophet Member

May 26, 2010
    You can actually order a 1/4" collet (6.35mm) for the Zund. The part number is 3910497.

...and yes, I believe you can mill a 1/2" shank to 1/4" or 6mm to fit in the appropriate collet. The only problem I can think of that you will have is selecting the appropriate bit size in the software, but you can cheat this if you have a good file setup to compensate for whatever bit size you're using vs. what you've told the machine that it has. Might even be a way to create a custom bit profile in the software, but I haven't gotten that far into it.