• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rounded Corners: Can Anyone Explain This!?

ams

That's called a chord. Not the same thing as a radius, and it would only work on a rounded corner with an arc of 120 degrees, i.e. on an equilateral hexagon with rounded corners.

Also, just an aside, but what on earth did Illustrator do to you that you have to cry every time someone mentions it? If you read the thread, you would see that Illustrator had nothing to do with the problem—it was a lack of understanding of math and geometry.

Well the radius always worked for me that way, I find the simple way to do things.

TravinFlavin

Don't have a border. Problem solved.
stifler-thumbs-up.jpg

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The easiest way to measure a rounded corner is to put a T-Square on it and measure where the straight line begins to break away to form the curve. If it breaks away at the 3 inch mark, it's a 3 inch radius.

TravinFlavin

The easiest way to measure a rounded corner is to put a T-Square on it and measure where the straight line begins to break away to form the curve. If it breaks away at the 3 inch mark, it's a 3 inch radius.
Thanks for the reply, VanderJ, but you should check out the earlier posts. That method only works with a 90 degree angle like on a rectangle which fits most situations. However I was trying to measure a rounded triangle which has narrower angles than a rectangle. The method for meausring those angles is in a previous post, in case you ever run into that situation :)

MikePro

+1 it was your method, for sure. major kudos to those that took the time to illustrate the correct math.

big fan of tracing a radius on a piece of paper, scanning it and importing to illustrator, to check my math against. heck, even print your final result on another piece of paper if you want to double-check (measure twice, cut once!)

cheaper than finding out you did it wrong after printing/cutting.

skyhigh

App for your phone looks interesting, but I do like FireSprints invention.
Very cool, simple approach......and good for a number of things. CUDOS.