Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rounding corners for cut vinyl

Discussion in 'Adobe' started by mikeinpdx, Mar 5, 2014.

1. mikeinpdx

mikeinpdx Member

Feb 6, 2011
    portland
    I've used Effects>Stylize>Round Corners when I've got artwork with sharp corners that aren't going to cut cleanly. But it doesn't recognize really sharp corners like in the screenshot.

Is there a way to get the effect to work with bends like this as well, or does it just need to be fixed manually?

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    try to use the 'convert anchor point' thing on nodes that it wont work on

edit: i guess it might not work on bezier curves...converting it using the tool turns it into a straight line

3. mpn

mpn Active Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Add an anchor point manually and put a small curve to it?

4. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    i usually use a fillet tool via my Omega Composer or EnRoute, on the production-end. Which also allows me to specify inner/outer corners.

but, when I do use illustrator for this, i usually just offset path-rounded.
    something along the lines of: offset path -.063, and then offset that new path +.063 rounded to obtain your final path.
    (values t.b.d., i usually just play with #'s until i get what I'm looking for since I'm in scaled artwork)

5. Malkin

Malkin Very Active Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Augusta, ME
    My technique is to set an inline (negative offset path) equal to the radius you wish to end up with on the corners. Then select that new line and set a positive offset path in the same amount and be sure to choose ROUND joins. Delete the original path and the temporary inset path and it should be set to go.

6. mikeinpdx

mikeinpdx Member

Feb 6, 2011
    portland
    Thanks!

Thanks, everyone! I'll give these suggestions a try.

In the meantime, I did some searching around and found some scripts that will do a good bit automatically. Looks pretty good so far. Check out the "round corners" script at http://shspage.com/aijs/en/#usage1

7. toomeycustoms

toomeycustoms Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Nor Cal
  8. The Vector Doctor

The Vector Doctor Very Active Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio

Yes the new rounding corner works incredibly well. Probably the best single update they added to illustrator in a while. The adobe function is really useful when you want a bit more control plus it is editable. You can go back in and change those corners on the fly and watch it happen in real time

I have not tried the rounding script from the script listed on that other webpage but have had great success with this script too. It is better when you want to apply the rounding to every single point at once.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event=extensionDetail&extid=1045709

9. mikeinpdx

mikeinpdx Member

Feb 6, 2011
    portland
    Yep, same guy, same script, different webpage :)

10. TammieH

TammieH Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Pacific NW

+1, Exactly!