• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Routed Wood Sign

CSC10

Hello,
I had a quick question about painting a routed (CNC) Cedar sign. Is it possible to use a spray gun to paint the copy (all one color)? We have been hand painting signs for 30 years & the general consensus in our shop is that this is still the best way. The problem is that we have 18 hours into painting 20 square feet of letters & we are not done yet. People just don't want to pay for it.

Has anyone had any luck spraying the copy? Is hand painting still the way to go?

Thanks in advance,

petrosgraphics

we have had success finishing the sign completely, cutting shape, routing edge...
apply gerbermask to the board and carve the sign.... prime the letters as you would, finish
coat the letters and remove the gerbermask slowly... it does have a little ridge around the letters from the build up of paint, but it works pretty well.. great for caved signs with a lot of small text..... still prefer to hand letter.... try a sample, see what you think....

jdoug5170

I used to route the letters, then spray paint the letters, not worrying about overspray...just ran the entire sign through the wide belt and knocked off the overspray.

If the texture of the board was rough and the customer wanted it that way, I would cover entire board with a paint mask, route, then spray. Remove the mask just before the paint is completely dry.

Doug

digitalwoodshop

we have had success finishing the sign completely, cutting shape, routing edge...
apply gerbermask to the board and carve the sign.... prime the letters as you would, finish
coat the letters and remove the gerbermask slowly... it does have a little ridge around the letters from the build up of paint, but it works pretty well.. great for caved signs with a lot of small text..... still prefer to hand letter.... try a sample, see what you think....

Was watching a DIY show this weekend and they were talking about painting on a tape line on a kitchen wall....

There is a TRICK and I tried it today and darn it worked GREAT....

The Trick and this apply to covering the board with Gerber Mask or something similar... Apply a light and careful brush strokes from the tape to the wall or in our case the carved out letters... The trick is to seal the paint line with a thin coat of paint then SLOP it in the text..... A slight wait to let the thin coat dry and you are GOLDEN....

AL