• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Router or Laser Cutter

gbahue

What is the best method for determining whether to purchase a router or laser cutter? Is there a list of side by side capabilities that will help me rationalize the decision.

Thanks.

greg

Derf

Router can do raster Braille ADA Laser can't so it depends on what you want to do with the equipment! the laser is great for other applications

OADesign

In my own opinion....

go with router 1st. I think you would turn a profit much fast with a CNC router than a laser at the out set. though the learning curve may be a "bit" longer. Even if your not selling router cut items specifically, it will help your shop be more efficient. i.e. cutting sign shapes/profiles, lots a repeat parts, cleaner more accurate cuts etc.) Which will turn into Higher quality, faster turn over, faster payment.

Then once you've made a nice chuck of change, you can quickly pay off the router. or go get the laser and get into the custom gift biz...

Good Luck!

MrKoob

A Laser actually can be used for ADA Signage, but it requires a lot of calibration at the beginning. The general consensus is to consider a Rotary first. They're usually cheaper and are good for determining if you will need a laser system down the line based on demand. OADesign is correct about the Signage Use. One completely unrelated point, I recently saw a Roland Rep demonstrate a garment application for their EGX line. They were using an EGX-300 for building "Rhinestone Templates". (sorry, chasing a rabbit)

GIUSEPPE

Cnc Routing Egx-300

Hi,
I am trying to do a simple 2D engraving job which I have been medling to get the best suitable result for quite some time now. The problem I have with the software that came with my Roland CNC EGX-300 is that is limited in some cases. In order to do a brass or aluminium block for hotfoil printing I have to use the 3D engraving software so that I do not loose from the printing surface. I bought carbite cutters with an angle of 20 degree for profiling and around .4mm thick, and I would like to go to a depth of about .9mm.
I have tried soft material first like plastic which is used for signs so I do not break the cutting tools since I do not have that long experience in the cnc area.
It seems though that the router first starts cutting deep into the material and then start upward to the surface. I want the procedure to be the opposite, cutting various times downwards especially when I will be using brass or aluminium. Anyone can help me with this task?
Thank you in advance.