• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Router Questions

ScottyAdams

Hey Guys,

So we do not have a router in shop, but have just met a contact that will allow us the use of his router for a fee for each use. My questions are...

-What sort of design software should I be using?

-What type of file does a router need? Are there differences between routers that would require different file types?

-Any other specific details or information I should know about designing for a router?

Keep in mind I will not be running the machine....I will simply be providing material, specs, and design files. Thanks Everyone!!!:thankyou:

CES020

Anything that makes an EPS file will work.

Illustrator, CorelDraw, or most anything else that creates vector based graphics.

Nothing special you need to know, just view your artwork as a wireframe or preview to make sure you don't have a bunch of unwanted junk in there. Also, make sure your outlines are very small. Hairline in Corel.

10sacer

Not necessarily so... depends on type of router. Graphics routers with vision systems use those file types - but woodworking routers use .dxf or .dwg files.

You need to ask the router guy what to provide.

CES020

Not necessarily so... depends on type of router. Graphics routers with vision systems use those file types - but woodworking routers use .dxf or .dwg files.

You need to ask the router guy what to provide.

I spent 6 hours on ours today, which is a woodworking router. It takes eps files just fine. In fact, DXF files can often cause problems with duplicate lines/nodes, etc. 99.99% of the time, I use eps files on it. Never once had a problem with eps on it.

AzGene

.eps files can also contain duplicate lines and other errors that inhibit production. A competent machine shop can usually clean up the file prior to production. I try to do that but if it will take longer than 5 minutes I'll let you know what the problem is and have you clean it up.

AzGene

Also forgot to add I have a customer that sends me .dxf files all the time with no problems. The file is usually not the problem, it's how the file is created that ends up being the problem.

Signie

We use Illustrator (any version is fine) & use .DXF & .EPS files for our router. Just make sure you only have vector information in your file, that there are no strokes on any objects which haven't been outlined, that there's no bitmap info you haven't deleted out. Best practice is to keep all your vector info on a totally separate layer so you can delete what you don't need easily. Also for the first few times give the router guy specific sizes for everything you want him to cut so he can double check that when he imports your file in, nothing is lost or different. Plus a PDF proof so he can ensure nothing has dropped out.

Brad Knight

It all depends on the CNC guys CAM software. I can run stl, obj, dxf - pdf, ai, eps... just about anything, but I run it through my CAM software and it processes the file into a text file (tap file) which is just lines of code - direction, distance, acceleration, deceleration in each axis.