• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Routing Black Locust...

mrk.Cram

We have a customer that is insistent on using Black Locust wood for her sign. What I have learned about this wood so far is that it is HARD!! It will dull a chainsaw on the first cut. Has anyone else worked with this wood? We are trying to decide whether we want to route this sign or just sand-blast it. If routed, what bit works the best, and how many did you go through. Any advice would be great!

signage

When you say dull a chain saw are you cutting through the bark? I was told that Locust bark holds dirt in it as it grows and this is what dulls chain saw chains! You may want to try and remove the bark and cut and see if it makes any difference!

mrk.Cram

That was just what I read online while looking it up. I had never heard of it before. I don'y think it will have the bark on it still. We are gonna get a 2'x6' plank.

petrosgraphics

ONSRUD makes a huge assortment of cnc router bits.. call their customer
service, find them on line.... but speak to someone, get advice from them
as to what bit to use, rpm,feed rate,etc..

nodrenim

I have several black locust trees on my property that have had some wind damage and the fallen limbs are used for firewood. This is the first I have heard about them being toxic, but then I usually learn something new every day. It is true about the hardness, but it burns slowly and just charcoals and heats for a long time. If I were to use a router, I would think that a carbide bit, used for steel would be my logical choice for this, as locust has a very tight, dense grain. Good Luck, let us know how it shakes out.