Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

routing corian

Discussion in 'CNC Routing & Laser Cutting' started by bill hamm, Jan 21, 2004.

1. bill hamm

bill hamm New Member

Jan 14, 2004
    Got a question, I just finished a huge corian job, I cut it dry with 5.5 hp pc router on my cnc, for 4 days I felt as though I had rolled around in fiberglass, should I have done this wet, I had 2- 6.5 hp vacs attached both running, and the mess is ungodly, I route all types of plastics, aluminum, redwood, ceder. plywood but never have I had a problem like that, I cut all metals wet but all plastics dry. Any help with how you do it would be great, Don't want to stop I have about 30 - 30"x12' sheets in stock, Thanks to all
    Bill

Tags:
  2. Dennis Raap

Dennis Raap Active Member

Oct 5, 2003
    USA
    Bill,

I have done a quite a bit of solid surface routing but never had this problem.

I am running 1 6.5 hp vac it is located in a different room, I did this just for noise, I have a bag and a filter in the vac maybe that is why I have not had any problem. I do have a second vac that I keep in the router room just for clean up it also has a filter and a bag I started using a bag with the filter to help stop the fine particles. Hope this helps.

3. SIGNPOWER

SIGNPOWER New Member

Jan 11, 2004
    Hi Bill, re: Corian

As a long time conventional and CNC machinist we always used
    a synthetic coolant and cut it 10 water to 1 coolant when we
    machined acrylic, carbon or delron...superior finish.

Check your feed/speed you might be cutting to slow
    thus creating more dust than "chips". I would try picking up
    feed first and hold the speed. You need to find that sweet spot.
    Good luck, Marc

4. bill hamm

bill hamm New Member

Jan 14, 2004
    Thanks, I'll give it all a try, my vacs have filters but no bag, I tried a new vac today, a whole shop vac with 2 large bags one up and one down, bought it at homedepot a year or so ago for my saws did not work at all, but I'll try speeding it up a little, I tried using a little water, the second time with no vac, bigger mess but no particals in the air. I too keep that machine in a different room and it has a drain in the middle of the floor, but tell me what you think about putting an exaust fan in the room also like I have in the paint booth.
    Thanks
    Bill

5. Dennis Raap

Oct 5, 2003
    USA
    Bill,

I think that Marc may be on to something it just so happens that I have more chips than dust also.
    :signs101:
    Dennis

6. openwood

openwood Member

Nov 21, 2003
    Dennis
    I have finally become a corian approved corian fabracator.They had to tour my shop and asked about my aplication and what the job i was bidding.they even wanted to know the name of the developer.and after passing a credit check i was told i was able to attend there fabracation class.
    Did anyone else that uses corian have to jump through this many hoops just to be able to buy corian??I dont know if it was worth it. the class isnt even avalible untill may,when I will be dealing with the spring rush.:help:
    Brian

7. Dennis Raap

Oct 5, 2003
    USA
    Brian,
    The Corian that I had I got as seconds I didn't have that problem.
    Formica makes a solid surface have you checked in to this product? I have used Formica solid surface, I think there is a Dealer near you if you go to the Formica web site you can do a dealer search http://www.formica.com/home.jsp. Hope this helps.:smile: