• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Routing Coro Statue by hand

WDP

Routing Coro Statue by hand any suggestions? Its our first time and before there was Router tables they were done by hand, can anybody offer advice -tolls etc.

G-Artist

Care to be a bit more specific?

What is a "coro statue" for starters?

If you are talking something like pasting a photo of a person on coro and then
cutting an outline to make it look like s/he were standing there in-person
then a one-up job would be cut with a razor knife (it's a skill). More than one
or two was usually done via a die cutting press back in the 'old days.'
That was true whether the backing sheet was cardboard, foam or plastic.
For hand-work, it probably would be best to use a rigid template that you overlay
and trace/cut around.

Actual routing has to be done at low speed/speed to keep the coro from melting.
That's all I really know about routing polypropylene.

jiarby

rotozip bit on a slow speed dremel. edge will be rough, lightly sand smooth. If you can use a blade that is better. 10mil is tough on a blade.

WDP

Yes it is a coroplastic board with a graphic of a football player in it. So you recommend a very sharp blade and take my time?

tanneji

i had to do 4 of those and yeah the first one took about an hour but the last one only took about 20 mins ... you get used to it pretty quick and all in all it's not that bad as long as you have a knife that's comfortable to hold

Pat Whatley

Assuming you're talking about 10-13 mil coro throw out the router and get a jigsaw. I've actually found that a sharp, rough cut blade will cut coro a lot smoother than a finish cut blade will.

I do 7' tall cutouts of police officers for the city, I can cut one in about 10 minutes and typically have no cleanup to do on the edges (unlike the 15 minutes of cleanup getting the little chips of coro off the table and floor). I wrap the base of my jigsaw with felt when I do them just to eliminate any chance of scratching.

WDP

get a jigsaw.

I actually thought of that but a palm size one. Thanks for all the feedback. If I go with the Jigsaw and it works a free T Shirt Fro Pat Whatley!:thumb: