• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Routing grooves in 4x4 wood post

Billct2

We use a dado in the table saw. But a router works fine, and I would do a few passes increasing the depth. You can get an inexpensive router table which makes this
and many other routing jobs easier

signage

ok thanks. a router is what I thought I needed. I figured the cost of the tool when bidding this job... adding to my dewalt collection
Tex said right her he would figure the tool into his pricing! Sign making didn't create any wood working terms they use what has been done for century in wood working to make a sign!

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I appreciate all the advise here. Normally I wouldn't venture into this kind of job because I'd rather just stick to what I know... but it's for a local sign company that uses me a lot so I thought twice about turning it down. I got the router, straight bit and a guide for a hair under $200. I figured in the bid $300 for the tool and bit so it's enough to cover. The router was on sale on Amazon. I'd like to expand my wood working skill so this project will be fine. They want 1/2" MDO sign in those 4x4 posts, and the top two corners of the sign are rounded, so I can use the jig saw for that part....

Johnny Best

Then he's asking in the right place...
In 1963 you learned this in Shop Class, but did not use a router but a oblique blade depth hand tool. Also not pressure treated at that time, never heard of that back then. The hand tool worked pretty well.
Tex is a back door signman, looking and learning as he goes. He does not get stressed working 60 hours a week.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Use the right tool for the job. Assuming the groove you need to cut is wider than 1/8" then the right tool in this case that would be a dado blade in a table saw. Failing that, a router mounted in a rigid router table. All other methods are stunts. Trying to cut a parallel dado with hand held tools not only is a stunt, it's a real good way to hurt yourself. Note that a blind dado will need to have the blind end finished with a chisel.

No matter how you cut the groove, driving a lag bolt edge-on into plywood is always a crap shoot unless you properly pre-drill the post and sign board. Also tricky unless you have some mechanism to keep the drill centered on the groove and perpendicular to the post. If it were mine to do, I'd drill the posts groove side up with a pilot hole in a drill press. Then insert the sign board into the groove and, using the hole you made on the drill press as a guide, drill the existing pilot hole into the sign board with a hand-held drill. Carefully. Then, in a drill press, re-drill the pilot hold in the post with a clearance hole. Done this way the whole thing should fit together perfectly.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
omg....a router with an edge guide and a double fluted straight bit and you'll be done in 10 minutes. There's more than one 'right tool for the job'. That's the entire purpose of a straight bit. - to cut grooves. Gino described the process perfectly. You don't need a table saw and dado blade lol.

rjssigns

omg....a router with an edge guide and a double fluted straight bit and you'll be done in 10 minutes. There's more than one 'right tool for the job'. That's the entire purpose of a straight bit. - to cut grooves. Gino described the process perfectly. You don't need a table saw and dado blade lol.
Yup, router all the way. I run a Bosch and have had it for years. It's somewhere north of 3hp. As others have said it makes a mess. Somewhere there's a photo of me dadoing posts and I'm literally up to my knees in shavings.
BTW wear a good dust mask and if possible work outside far far away from the shop.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Is it a plunge router, so you can set your depth and lock it in ??

Just be careful and practice on an old scab piece first. Your main concern will be to keep the fence/guide right up against the outside of the post. If that varies, you'll have a crooked rout. Once the rout takes shape, it's not easy to get a new groove going..................

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Is it a plunge router, so you can set your depth and lock it in ??

Just be careful and practice on an old scab piece first. Your main concern will be to keep the fence/guide right up against the outside of the post. If that varies, you'll have a crooked rout. Once the rout takes shape, it's not easy to get a new groove going..................
I don't know about plunge, but the depth is fixed and I can adjust it by turning the dial or collar.

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
A plunge router has a spring loaded shoe aka base.
1646149217262.png