• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rowmark Adhesive Failure?

DerbyCitySignGuy

Anybody having issues with Rowmark lately? I'm not sure if it's the adhesive or what, but on four different pieces of acrylic faced with Rowmark, the Rowmark has developed "bubbles" in the surface of the material. Most the time it's just one or two spots, but one piece looked like it was hail damaged.

I've heard that sometimes acrylic can outgas like printed vinyl, but I've never seen or experienced this, so I have no idea what that would even look like or if it's even capable of causing the issues we're having. The only thing I can figure is that the adhesive is somehow letting go in certain spots and creating the raised areas. This has never happened before and we've been using Rowmark for years and years.

Attached is the worst example (by far), but gives an idea of what we're experiencing. Usually it's just a small area.

[Edit: Also, every piece has left the shop looking fine and within a few days has developed the "bubbles" in the surface.]

dimpled rowmark.jpg

Last edited:

tbullo

Superunknown
We had some do that once. They were interior mounted and in the general area of a pool. But it took many years before they looked like that.

tbullo

Superunknown
Here is a pic I found. Maybe hard to see but looks close to yours.

Attachments

• 0130181039.jpg
    0130181039.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 126

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Maybe you just got one from towards the end of the roll. We apply the adhesive in shop here and sometimes when we get towards the end of a roll, the adhesive isn't as well distributed so we just chuck the last 2 - 3 feet. Maybe that's what happened here.

DerbyCitySignGuy

Maybe you just got one from towards the end of the roll. We apply the adhesive in shop here and sometimes when we get towards the end of a roll, the adhesive isn't as well distributed so we just chuck the last 2 - 3 feet. Maybe that's what happened here.

We usually buy it with the adhesive already applied, but this makes sense and could explain why we're having issues with several sheets. Thanks!

tbullo

Superunknown
I think it was just time and very humid in there. I'm pretty sure we glued these sheets here in house.