Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions Royal Sovereign 54 uneven feed/wrinkles

Discussion in 'Laminators' started by Thomas Fischetti, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Thomas Fischetti

Thomas Fischetti Member

Oct 19, 2017
    salt lake city, Utah
    Hey guys I have been getting used to this 54" royal sovereign laminator and one issue has come up and I wanted to double check before I started messing around. The lamination starts our perfect, then one side will slowly develop wrinkles. It looks like the sides are being fed at uneven speeds. I am guessing this is due to pressure. What is the best way to even out the pressure from side to side?

Thanks

Tags:
  2. SignMeUpGraphics

SignMeUpGraphics Moderator

Apr 11, 2012
    Australia
    We used to get this happening until we figured out a very weird way to web the machine up, but now it laminates straight and wrinkle free every time, only wasting ~1ft material tops to get it loaded.
    I've been meaning to put together a video for weeks, but haven't had a chance. Send me a PM and I'll try describe what we do and I'll update the thread with the video once it's done.

3. JulieS

JulieS Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Columbia, SC
    It usually helps me to tighten up the tension on the back bar (that's holding the roll of lam). Seems like the tension needs to be checked and adjusted a few times as I use up the roll. I would love to see this new way of webbing the machine too though, SignMeUpGraphics!

4. Joe House

Joe House Active Member

Feb 5, 2004
    WA
    If the wrinkles are coming from one side, then you could have a pressure problem, but if you're new to laminating, I would suspect operator error here. Make sure that you have the roll centered and that you're loading the media and laminate straight and that neither of the materials are telescoped out to one side.

5. dale911

dale911 President

Jan 31, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Call royal sovereign. They sell a pressure gauge that’s under $100 to measure the tension. It makes a huge difference if there is a pound or two of pressure difference across the roller. The gauge is basically a strip of thin aluminum that you hook on to what is essentially a modified fish scale. You measure in the middle and then each side. Match the sides with the middle pressure using the Allen screws under the cover and all is well. Also make sure to web your printed material through the roller under the laminating table. It makes a huge difference when laminating more than a few feet to tension everything correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. SignMeUpGraphics

Apr 11, 2012
    Australia
    This right here... it's listed nowhere in any manual, but solved nearly all our problems. I'll have the video up after the weekend. Just been out on installs all week so far.

• Like Like x 2
  7. joeks

joeks New Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Netherlands
    I would love to know more about this too. Been struggling with my laminator for a long time already. Anything over half a meter and it starts developing wrinkles left and right in a downwards angle toward the center. Will try to tighten the lam holder to give more tension. Thanks!

8. SignMeUpGraphics

Apr 11, 2012
    Australia
    Actually, we don't use that method anymore... turns out there just wasn't the right tension set on the laminate feed roll. Added about 3/4 of a turn to that roll and haven't had a single failure since then.

9. MarkH42

MarkH42 Member

Aug 11, 2010
    Birmingham, AL
    Ditto to what dale911 said. We were having the same problems and bought the calibration kit. Basically, it is a fish scale with a strip of thin aluminum attached to it. You put the laminator on the thinnest setting and squeeze the strip of aluminum between the rollers on one side, then measure the force pulling on the strip before it starts to slip. Do the same on the other side and adjust the allen screws until the numbers are close. That resolved our issues. Money well spent.