• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

RS-540 Not Cutting Media (seperating print from roll)

Monsoon190

Hello All,

My new-to-me VersaArt thinks there's a left side media clamp installed at about 45 to 50 inches out and will not cut the media after its finished printing. It returns the print heads/cutting assembly (carriage assembly?) back home and displays "MEDIA CLAMPS". When the enter button is pressed, it might cut, or it might do the same thing again, most often doing the same thing again.

This began to happen after the media came to the end of its roll last night and the printer kept printing, pooling and making a mess on the platen. :covereyes: I cleaned it up and it looks spotless. print quality does not seem to be affected. Paper width detection seems fine. I removed the cutting blade and cleaned it and it's surrounding areas. I'm sure I'm missing some area still gunked up with ink.

(Also, when media remaining gets to zero, is there only a beep, or should the printer suspend operations like it does for an ink out condition?)

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks
-monsoon190

Charlie J

My guess is that you really need to get in there and do some cleaning. Something is tripping the sensor.

Monsoon190

Its more than a guess on my part, but I don't know the ins and outs of this machine yet. Not sure what or where to target.

Anyone have a service manual for the RS-540/640 ???

:help